[new_distillers]Bourbon and backset

  • Tony Turner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi RGW,
      I have made two different bourbon recipes and both have turned out well.

      The first recipe can be found in the "Files" section of the new distillers group under "Corn Whiskey". While it is called corn whiskey it comes out tasting like Makers Mark (my preferred drink). It is made with corn and wheat malt. If you make it and age it by his instructions it will taste really close to Makers Mark. I make the cut a little further into the tails than he does but it give it more flavor. I age it at 65% and I add 4 finger long sticks of white oak charred well on all side and then quenched in water. I add one TBSP of real maple syrup, 10 peppercorns and 10 raisins per gallon. It is wonderful!!

      The other recipe I make is Uncle Jessie's and it can be found on WNW.home distiller.org. It is a true sour mash and its is really easy to make.

      The sour mash process does more than just adjust the PH, it balances the flavor from batch to batch. To see this for yourself make Uncle Jessie's mash and follow his instructions to the letter. The first batch will be good but as you keep adding back-set (I use 25%) you will be able to taste the difference in your finished product. It took about four repeats of the procedure to develop the taste I really like. It was so good at four runs that it didn't even need to be aged (I did but I kept out 750ml as "corn whiskey").

      I run this mash in my Mini Still. I discard the first 150ml and collect well over into the tails. I collect into 200ml jars and mix it to get the flavor I like. I have not used my hydrometer to make the cuts yet but I hope to in the next few runs just to see how I'm making the cuts.

      I hope this helps. Good luck,
      Tony T

      r_g_wilson2 <rolson2@...> wrote: I am about set to make my first attempt at bourbon. I will be doing an
      all-grain mash and targeting something along the lines of a Maker's
      Mark (ie. replacing the rye grain with wheat).

      Hunting through the archives I found a recipe for Maker's Mark that
      gives the mash bill and then states "Double distill to 65%ABV" . I
      know what Double-distilling is and I know what 65%ABV is, but I don't
      know how to achieve this target. Is the ABV percent collected linear,
      so if I make the cuts from 75% --> 55%, the ABV% would average out to
      the target of 65% ?? Somehow that doesn't seem right to me, but I
      don't know enough about this yet to figure it out!

      Thanks for any help you can provide!

      Recent Activity

      New Members

      New Photos