RE: [new_distillers] Building a Stillmaker's still

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
      See the modifications that Rob van Leuvan has done to it
      (see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm )
      This has improved it so that its now putting out 95% purity & easier to
      control.

      Tony
    • David Ortego
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
        Hey Chris,

        I don't see anything wrong with you mixing copper and stainless. In
        fact, mine is a mixture. I haven't had any problem(s). I use a 15 (US)
        gallon beer keg made of stainless and the rest is copper (pot still) and
        have been making pretty good "drink" for a good while now. I have read a
        countless number of hours on many different sites, magazines and books and
        have never found anything to the contrary about mixing stainless and copper.
        Even aluminum may be appropriate in some cases! But for durability, you
        may want to use stainless for the entire operation. I encourage you to
        read as much as you can, and, of course, obtain advise from these very
        knowlegeable people here on this site. Hey! Please don't blow yourself up!
        David from Cajunland (US) :-)

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • m4goose@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
          Hi Chris,
          I just built and started using a stillmaker still, and it works
          grandly.
          The tower took a lot of soldering but came out nicely. and I use it on a
          stainless-steel boiler ( a milk can). I insalled my thermometer in the side
          instead of the top, but otherwise followed the plans. I packed it with pot
          scrubbers.
          Mark
        • Warren Ransom
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
            oops, sent that off too early..
            I found that web site and thought ... what a perfect combination of my two
            favourite pastimes :)