Re: [new_distillers] copper packing question

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2006
      Derek,

      You got the ticket. That density of packing is spot-on.

      Regards,

      Bwyze

      Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
      That's a really good question. I use stainless scrubbers in a copper column.
      The first time I did it I really packed them in tight. The still ran
      all right, but, was quite slow.
      Then, I did a rum running it with no packing. It was quite fast and
      as I recall pulled off product for the most of the run at about %72.
      Now I simply push the scrubbers in with a brromstick until they
      touch. That seems to provide plenty of surface area for reflux, the
      still produces at rates that match what others here say they get and
      my product comes off at 95% for most of the run.
      In fact I usually shut it down around 60% takeoff because I reckon
      the product out is starting to get costly with the power in to produce it.
      At 04:08 PM 8/29/2006, you wrote:

      >i will have a 4 ft collum and i will basically be filling it with
      >copper scrubbbers....however...how tight is to tight>? I dont want to
      >restrict the vapour.

      Derek