What you have is a Black Bread Mold . Not harmful but can make a beer taste bad. You can skim it off and run the batch. Next time use a weak bleach or sodium percarbonate solution to sterolize your fermentor. Idophor (iodine) can also be used but it has to be rinsed clean with boiled water. Boil you tap water if you ferment with it and just be more careful. Mold and wild yeast and bacteria are every where.Put vodka in your bubbler. Mine sucked back a slug of water and put White Powder mold in my last Brown beer. My friends never knew.!
> wrote: i made a five gallon wash and it has been fermenting for 2 weeks. i
used black label yeast. it is still slightly bubbeling. (once every 5-
10 seconds) this batch was slow to start and im wondering if its
usable. im assuming it is mold on the surface. my wife told me that at
one point during the ferment the air lok was removed by my curious 3
year old son. any suggestions would be appreciated.
should i remove it from the surface prior to putting it in the boiler?
if so whats the easiest way of getting at it in a fermenting "bottle"?
Do you Yahoo!?
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]