Small Pears for Grappa

  • Matt O'Brien
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 28, 2006
      I have a tree that has produced a profusion of small (2 inch) pears. If they are sweet can they be used to make pear schnapps, grappa, or something like that?

    • miciofelice2003
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 28, 2006
        Yes.

        micio felice

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt O'Brien <obrienm00@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a tree that has produced a profusion of small (2 inch)
        pears. If they are sweet can they be used to make pear schnapps,
        grappa, or something like that?

      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 31, 2006
          Grappa is made from grape pomace.
          You can use fruit pomace to make something similar, but it does not
          have much sugar.
          Pears are around 10% sugar content which is quite low.
          You could make a fruit wine first - the usual proportion is about 2kg
          fruit:4litres water:1kg sugar.
          Mash the pears with a small log first. Ferment on pulp. Press out or
          distill with pulp.
          wal

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2006
            Forgot to mention that apples make cider and pears make perry in a
            similar way - crush and press the fruit and then ferment.
            In fact in France cidre for the production of Calvados contains apples
            and some pears.
            wal

            > Grappa is made from grape pomace.
            > You can use fruit pomace to make something similar, but it does not
            > have much sugar.
            > Pears are around 10% sugar content which is quite low.
            > You could make a fruit wine first - the usual proportion is about 2kg
            > fruit:4litres water:1kg sugar.
            > Mash the pears with a small log first. Ferment on pulp. Press out or
            > distill with pulp.
            > wal
            > \--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Matt O'Brien <obrienm00@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I have a tree that has produced a profusion of small (2 inch) pears.
            > If they are sweet can they be used to make pear schnapps, grappa, or
            > something like that?

          • John Wisbey
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 4, 2006
              These 2 posts seem to be odds with each other, one says ferment the pulp then press and I presume distil, the other says crush the fruit, then press, then ferment and then distil. I am curious to know which is considered the best method to retain the flavour of the fruit as far as possible.
              Ciao for now
              John Wisbey
              Forgot to mention that apples make cider and pears make perry in a
              similar way - crush and press the fruit and then ferment.
              In fact in France cidre for the production of Calvados contains apples
              and some pears.
              wal

              > Grappa is made from grape pomace.
              > You can use fruit pomace to make something similar, but it does not
              > have much sugar.
              > Pears are around 10% sugar content which is quite low.
              > You could make a fruit wine first - the usual proportion is about 2kg
              > fruit:4litres water:1kg sugar.
              > Mash the pears with a small log first. Ferment on pulp. Press out or
              > distill with pulp.
              > wal

            • waljaco
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 4, 2006
                You will find that pear juice does not have much flavour - that is why
                pear juice is often used to replace sugar syrup in preserved fruits.
                Keep in mind pears go mushy ripe after being picked, and thereby
                suitable for pulp fermentation. The method you pick depends if you
                have a fruit press or not. If not, ferment on the pulp as for plums
                and then use a bag press or distill the lot. In England they are
                treated the same way as in making cider.
                wal
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@...>
                wrote:

                > These 2 posts seem to be odds with each other, one says ferment the
                pulp then press and I presume distil, the other says crush the fruit,
                then press, then ferment and then distil. I am curious to know which
                is considered the best method to retain the flavour of the fruit as
                far as possible.
                > Ciao for now
                > John Wisbey

              • John Wisbey
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 4, 2006
                  That makes sense Wal. Distilling on the pulp scares me a bit because of the danger of scorching the pulp and any residue from the yeast. Need I worry about these points?
                  Ciao for now
                  John Wisbey
                  You will find that pear juice does not have much flavour - that is why
                  pear juice is often used to replace sugar syrup in preserved fruits.
                  Keep in mind pears go mushy ripe after being picked, and thereby
                  suitable for pulp fermentation. The method you pick depends if you
                  have a fruit press or not. If not, ferment on the pulp as for plums
                  and then use a bag press or distill the lot. In England they are
                  treated the same way as in making cider.
                  wal

                  Recent Activity
                  a.. 13New Members
                  b.. 4New Photos
                  c.. 1New Files
                  Visit Your Group
                  a.. Corporate culture
                  b.. Corporate culture change
                  c.. Tissue culture
                  d.. Plant tissue culture
                  e.. Corporate culture training
                  Yahoo! TV
                  Want the scoop?

                  Check out today's

                  news and gossip.

                  Ads on Yahoo!
                  Learn more now.

                  Reach customers

                  searching for you.

                  Y! GeoCities
                  Be Vocal

                  Publish your opi-

                  nions with a blog.
                  .

                • waljaco
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 5, 2006
                    In the Balkans the stills have paddles to agitate the thick must so
                    as to prevent scorching (usually plums, apricots, pears). I prefer to
                    make a clear wine and then distill.
                    wrote:

                    > That makes sense Wal. Distilling on the pulp scares me a bit because
                    of the danger of scorching the pulp and any residue from the yeast.
                    Need I worry about these points?
                    > Ciao for now
                    > John Wisbey

                  • miciofelice2003
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 5, 2006
                      Hi Wal.
                      You aren't the only one that prefer to press and then to distil a
                      clear wine.

                      Me too, and I'm with a lot of peole, prefer to get clear wine to
                      ferment and then to distil.

                      Less methanol, less problems, no scorching, no "furfurolo", easier
                      to control, ....

                      Ciao a tutti
                      da

                      micio felice

                      > In the Balkans the stills have paddles to agitate the thick must
                      so
                      > as to prevent scorching (usually plums, apricots, pears). I prefer
                      > make a clear wine and then distill.
                      > wal
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > That makes sense Wal. Distilling on the pulp scares me a bit
                      because
                      > of the danger of scorching the pulp and any residue from the yeast.
                      > Need I worry about these points?
                      > > Ciao for now
                      > > John Wisbey

                    • John Wisbey
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 5, 2006
                        Thanks again Wal, I guessed there must be some sort of gadget. I will ferment the pulp, then press and finish the fermentation, clear and the distil.
                        Ciao for now
                        John Wisbey
                        Via Montemarino 30-A
                        Borgomale (CN) 12050
                        Italy
                        Tel: (00 39) 0173 529505 Mobile (0039) 338 2422895
                        Fax: (00 39) 0173 529942
                        e-mail: johnwisbey@...

                        www.piedmontproperty.com www.piedmont-holidays.com www.nicltd.co.uk
                        wrote:

                        > That makes sense Wal. Distilling on the pulp scares me a bit because
                        of the danger of scorching the pulp and any residue from the yeast.
                        Need I worry about these points?
                        > Ciao for now
                        > John Wisbey

                        You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings
                        a.. 11New Members
                        b.. 6New Photos
                        c.. 1New Files
                        Visit Your Group
                        a.. Corporate culture
                        b.. Corporate culture change
                        c.. Tissue culture
                        d.. Plant tissue culture
                        e.. Corporate culture training
                        Yahoo! TV
                        Want the scoop?

                        Check out today's

                        news and gossip.

                        New business?
                        Get new customers.

                        List your web site

                        in Yahoo! Search.

                        Y! GeoCities
                        Create a Blog

                        And tell the world

                        what you think.
                        .

                      • John Wisbey

                          You aren't the only one that prefer to press and then to distil a
                          clear wine.

                          Me too, and I'm with a lot of peole, prefer to get clear wine to
                          ferment and then to distil.

                          Less methanol, less problems, no scorching, no "furfurolo", easier
                          to control, ....

                          Ciao a tutti
                          da

                          micio felice

                          > In the Balkans the stills have paddles to agitate the thick must
                          so
                          > as to prevent scorching (usually plums, apricots, pears). I prefer
                          > make a clear wine and then distill.
                          > wal
                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey" <johnwisbey@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > That makes sense Wal. Distilling on the pulp scares me a bit
                          because
                          > of the danger of scorching the pulp and any residue from the yeast.
                          > Need I worry about these points?
                          > > Ciao for now
                          > > John Wisbey

                        • miciofelice2003
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 5, 2006
                            Ciao John.

                            I did it in both the ways: to presse to get clear wine, to filter
                            it, then to ferment and then to distil, or to cut in small slices ,
                            then to ferment, then to filter, then to "press" (if it was
                            possible), then to filter again, finally to distil.

                            I've to say that I prefer the most the first method, even if they
                            say that some flavour will be lost.

                            By using the first method you have less methanol, but the most
                            attractive fact is that to ferment the clear wine take about 5 - 6
                            days, versus a period of some weeks of the second method.

                            You know, John? I got a bottle of grappa di Arneis, monovitigno (
                            Arneis is the name of the grape, and monovitigno mean that only
                            those grapes, and not a mix of those ones, are used to get grappa):
                            something of fabolous.

                            Ciao a tutti
                            da

                            micio felice

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 5, 2006
                              Ciao Micio
                              I think I prefer your first method also. In passing, I have just triple distilled 50 lts of Chardonay from last year in the hope of making a drinkable brandy. I took the packing put of my PDA, made a fast stripping run, and then another fairly slow 2 runs. I have about 3 lts of about 80% abv average which I am going to dilute and add some oak dust. First I need to consult with the archives. Arneis is a very popular wine here in Piemonte and most bars sell a grappa di Arneis. How grappa has improved over the 50+ years I have been visiting and living in Italy. In 1955 I though I was drinking shoe polish (Cherry Blossom), but today one can find grappa distilled from most kinds of traditional wine must. I found some which had been matured in oak for 5 years and bought 10 bottles. Not all for me!!!, my sons have a taste for grappa also.
                              Ciao for now
                              John Wisbey

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 6, 2006
                                Hi John.

                                PDA ?

                                ciao

                                micio felice

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 6, 2006
                                  Its the Nixon and Stone still, very good. Look at the Amphora Society http://www.amphora-society.com/. Sorry, it should have read PDA-1
                                  John Wisbey

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 6, 2006
                                    Hmm should have said Nixon and Macaw........sorry no disrespect intended
                                    John Wisbey