Re: Increasing surface area thru sandblasting.......

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <twspinal1@...> wrote:

      > Greetings all!
      > My name is Tim and I'm new to this business of distilling. I am
      > gathering knowledge of stills at this time (I plan to build a reflux
      > still), and I was wondering if anyone has sandblasted the inside of
      > their columns? As this would increase surface area and help hold in
      > place the copper woll (or whatever). Thanks for ya'lls time.

      Hiya Tim,
      Sandblasting is not advised for the inside of the still as roughing
      the surface only minutely increases the surface area. More
      importantly, it gives extra nooks and crannies for gunk to accumulate
      and makes it harder to clean between runs. A very slight increase in
      size will accomplish as much, if not more, in the way of added surface
      area as texturizing the interior via sandblasting.

      Hope this helps,
      Trid