Re: WARNING! AMAZING STILL CAN KILL!

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2006
      Few observations based on my moderate experience with amazing stills:

      The efficiency is quite similar to a potstill thus making amazing
      still usefull as a slow stripper. The stuff you get can no way be
      classified as neutral and really requires carbon filtering to be
      drinkable.

      The amazing still can be improved in various ways, a tap on the
      bottom allows cuts, bucket-on-top-of-the bucket design can achieve up
      to 75% ABV strength and so on.

      One problem with amazing still is that it's made from plastic
      (polypropylene). Although PP stands low ABV alcohol vapors you can
      encounter problems with high ABV warm alcohol. This makes amazing
      still not suitable for double or triple distillation you could do
      with a regular potstill.

      The aquarium heater creates a whole lot of new problems by itself.
      Most aquarium heaters start to leak over time when submerged, as
      seems to happen with brand Gert Strand sells. If you build amazing
      still get a proper heater for the job, one that can be submerged.
      Another problem not mentioned so far is the heater cord, it starts to
      deteriorate over time and may also cause short circuit. This can be
      fixed by wrapping or laminating the cord with PTFE tape and aquarium
      silicone.

      I have one with all these improvements and I use it maybe once a year
      for stripping. For making neutral alcohol or flavored drinks there
      are much better tools that you can build/buy. Keeping al this in mind
      the amazing still is suitable for some people, just use proper
      heater, fix the cord and don't do high ABV distillations.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tcfromnz" <tcfromnz@...>
      wrote:
      > Now a personal observation, which will probably upset some of our
      members, nonetheless I will say it. I think anyone who wants to try
      to cut corners or be lazy, with such an obviously inefficient method
      of producing beverage ethanol, really needs to think about things a
      bit more, or at least do some serious research on reputable sites
      such as ours and homedistiller.