Re: [new_distillers] Re: Yeast Question~

  • Tony Turner
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
      PhilipWilson <pgw@...> wrote:
      Actually, the reason for juice and molasses is to provide acidity and nutrients for
      the yeast.

      Plain sugar doesn't provide nitrogen (and other nutrients) which yeast need to multiply.

      Acidity suppresses bacterial activity.

      Turbo yeasts contain not only yeast, but nutrients and acid/buffers.
      ###################################

      O.K, that was more technical than I wanted to be when I typed that last night so here goes (it was really late).

      Actually, the reason I use juice is because it helps to break down the sugar. The citric acid in the juice works well for this or you could have used citric acid in the power form, but that's harder to find at the supermarket.

      It is true that yeast seem to thrive in a slightly acid enviroment so the addition of the juice has a two fold purpose.

      The molasses adds nutrients that the yeast need to multiply as does the tomato paste but the tomato paste also adds to the acidic enviroment.

      Phillip is correct when he says that turbo yeast already has everything it needs to do the most efficient conversion of the sugar to alcohol while at the same time inhibiting the nasties that sometimes form in the wash. You get a cleaner, higher yield wash with the Turbo Yeast (I like the Black label and the Prestige 48). The reason I included the other recipe was so you could just go to the supermarket and pick the ingriedients instead of hunting the Turbos (like I do). I have to order all my supplies off the internet because there is not a brew supplier within a 100 miles of me.

      I have included a snipit from the homedistiller.org web site the tells a little about inverting sugar.
      INVERT SUGAR

      ...When cane sugar is used, the acid environment of the fruit juice allows an enzyme in the yeast called sucrase (or invertase) to convert the sucrose into the simpler sugars glucose (dextrose) and laevulose (fructose) which are then fermented. Although this process takes place almost straight away, it can be argued that it is better to use sugar that is already inverted. In practise this gives a more even fermentation and thus an arguably better quality finished wine. The amateur, however, need not worry about this as the difference is likely to be negligible. Invert sugar is available to buy, though more costly than the household variety. On the other hand it is possible to invert some household sugar before adding it._
      Good luck,
      Tony T