Boiler Question

  • Jeremy McCoy
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
      Hey all I was wondering what is best to use as a boiler. I would love
      to use a KEG but there not really that easy to come by because as i
      get older i go to fewer and FEWER keg parties....haha Im wary about
      using plastic for obvious reasons and constraints. What works well? I
      know i can get a big pot but those arnt exactly cheap. What about 2
      of the same size bowls (big ones)? any ideas! I would appreciate any
      insight and comments! what has worked for you
    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
        Find a keg, it's worth the effort. Once you have it purpose-built
        converted, you won't have to worry about finding particular clamps, or
        getting a flavour from a batch of lobsters or corn boiled up in. It will be
        a single purpose device that you can maintain and upgrade as you progress in
        the hobby.

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy McCoy"
          <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

          > Hey all I was wondering what is best to use as a boiler. I would love
          > to use a KEG but there not really that easy to come by because as i
          > get older i go to fewer and FEWER keg parties....haha Im wary about
          > using plastic for obvious reasons and constraints. What works well?
          > know i can get a big pot but those arnt exactly cheap. What about 2
          > of the same size bowls (big ones)? any ideas! I would appreciate any
          > insight and comments! what has worked for you

          I went to my watering hole and talked to the bartender and got
          for $50.00 the deposit fee they have to pay. I live in Canada but
          the cost shouldn't be to much different wherever you live.
          Rich
        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
            Kegs are not hard to come by.
            I'm guessing you'd like a big ol' 59 litre stainless version.
            Go to some pubs and talk to the pub manager. They have to cover the
            deposit. Add $10 to that and I'm sure you'll get one.
            Otherwise the folks who deliver the full ones take away the
            empties. Talk to a driver. Tell him the truth; I'm sure he''ll love
            your project.
            Again a little more than the deposit should get it for you.
            A couple of folks might tell you to poytpsa, but, someone will help.
            At 02:26 PM 8/21/2006, you wrote:

            >Hey all I was wondering what is best to use as a boiler. I would love
            >to use a KEG but there not really that easy to come by because as i
            >get older i go to fewer and FEWER keg parties....haha Im wary about
            >using plastic for obvious reasons and constraints. What works well? I
            >know i can get a big pot but those arnt exactly cheap. What about 2
            >of the same size bowls (big ones)? any ideas! I would appreciate any
            >insight and comments! what has worked for you

            Derek

          • enibnikrib
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
              <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

              > Hey all I was wondering what is best to use as a boiler. I would love
              > to use a KEG but there not really that easy to come by because as i
              > get older i go to fewer and FEWER keg parties....haha Im wary about
              > using plastic for obvious reasons and constraints. What works well? I
              > know i can get a big pot but those arnt exactly cheap. What about 2
              > of the same size bowls (big ones)? any ideas! I would appreciate any
              > insight and comments! what has worked for you

              If you plan on useing gas to heat, kegs are are the best, an can be
              had at kegs.com. If you go electric, electric water heater can maybe
              save you alot of hassle. With a water heater every thing is there,
              just wire around the thermostat,its insulated which will save on the
              electric bill,an no welding is nessary, but they are abit exspensive
              and can leak if not taken care of,they are glass linned.

              distill safe
            • mr done
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
                jeremy,
                Concerning you question about a still, why don't you
                build it yourself. If you have a workarea and some
                basic tools it's not that hard..
                I'm restoring a still from the 1820's it's about
                three feet wide and three feet tall. It's beautiful-
                all hand hammered copper. and that is just the pot!~
                I'm currently building the ball top, the lyne arm
                and the collars to connect it all together.
                In a copy of FOXFIRE there is a plan and an article
                about the ole'timers still, making shine, and
                recipies.
                ALSO, there is a diagram there also on how to make
                one.
                If all that fails, go to a flea market. I was at
                one two weeks ago -a big one! and saw four antique
                stills -well copper kettles that had been used for
                stills Expect to spend some money.
                I found several on ebay -older, but maybe a good
                starting. (Just don't bid against me)lol.
                I paid $160.00 for the kettle and I have to find
                another to match it to make the ball out of.
                I'm using the older metals to match the colors
                correctly. Thought about sending pictures but will do
                so when I'm further along.
                Hey, just some ideas, if you're semi handy and have
                some patience you CAN make one on your own.

                Later. Marshal7002@...

                --- Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

                > Hey all I was wondering what is best to use as a
                > boiler. I would love
                > to use a KEG but there not really that easy to come
                > by because as i
                > get older i go to fewer and FEWER keg
                > parties....haha Im wary about
                > using plastic for obvious reasons and constraints.
                > What works well? I
                > know i can get a big pot but those arnt exactly
                > cheap. What about 2
                > of the same size bowls (big ones)? any ideas! I
                > would appreciate any
                > insight and comments! what has worked for you

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
                  How about SS kettle. They are somewhat more expensive but quite easy to
                  modify as well and great for hotplates and gas. Plastic works well
                  also, but you need to be very carefull to get PolyPropylene bucket and
                  nothing else (of those commonly available brands).

                  Cheers, Riku

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21, 2006
                    "poytpsa"?

                    --
                    Brendan Keith
                    bkeith@...

                    A couple of folks might tell you to poytpsa, but, someone will help.
                  • Rufus Post
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 22, 2006
                      The best place to get a keg from is from a scrappy (scrap metal dealer). I
                      got mine there and in addition they will have a whole lot of other stuff you
                      can use that you dont have to buy new like fittings and stuff. (rufus3h)

                      On 8/21/06, Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:

                      > Hey all I was wondering what is best to use as a boiler. I would love
                      > to use a KEG but there not really that easy to come by because as i
                      > get older i go to fewer and FEWER keg parties....haha Im wary about
                      > using plastic for obvious reasons and constraints. What works well? I
                      > know i can get a big pot but those arnt exactly cheap. What about 2
                      > of the same size bowls (big ones)? any ideas! I would appreciate any
                      > insight and comments! what has worked for you

                    • Cary Rhodes
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 22, 2006
                        since we are talking about scrap yards.

                        I visits one a couple weeks ago and there it was. A very large
                        stainless coffee urn. I guess it may have had a home is a banquet
                        hall or convention center.

                        And a double pot no less.

                        Electrical element wrapped around the outside of the pot.

                        The only problem was extracting it from the current home.

                        I haven't got her out of there yet, but I've got an eye on the prize.

                        cary

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rufus Post" <rufuspost@...>
                        wrote:

                        > The best place to get a keg from is from a scrappy (scrap metal
                        dealer). I
                        > got mine there and in addition they will have a whole lot of other
                        stuff you
                        > can use that you dont have to buy new like fittings and stuff.
                        (rufus3h)

                        > On 8/21/06, Jeremy McCoy <realmccoy333@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hey all I was wondering what is best to use as a boiler. I
                        would love
                        > > to use a KEG but there not really that easy to come by because
                        as i
                        > > get older i go to fewer and FEWER keg parties....haha Im wary
                        about
                        > > using plastic for obvious reasons and constraints. What works
                        well? I
                        > > know i can get a big pot but those arnt exactly cheap. What
                        about 2
                        > > of the same size bowls (big ones)? any ideas! I would appreciate
                        any
                        > > insight and comments! what has worked for you

                      • Trid
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 22, 2006
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>
                          wrote:

                          > "poytpsa"?
                          >
                          > --
                          > Brendan Keith
                          > bkeith@...

                          piss off, you ...something something something...oh, I give up...

                          Trid