Building a Stillmaker's still

  • cummingsc@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hi all! My name is Chris and I'm about to attempt to build a still
      (geez, sounds like an intro at a support group).

      I downloaded the free PDF StillMakers plans. Can anyone out there
      give
      me imput on the quality of that design? Anthing I should modify or
      improve on? Is it going to blow up?

      I'm pretty sure I'll have no problems building the tower. Would a
      stainless steel pressure cooker work for the boiler? I found a
      super-heavy-duty 50qt one for a good price. Is it bad to mix copper
      and stainless steel? Anything wrong with converting pressure cookers
      in general?

      I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you. Thanks in advance
      for the advice.

      Chris
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
        See the modifications that Rob van Leuvan has done to it
        (see http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/others.htm )
        This has improved it so that its now putting out 95% purity & easier to
        control.

        Tony
      • David Ortego
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
          Hey Chris,

          I don't see anything wrong with you mixing copper and stainless. In
          fact, mine is a mixture. I haven't had any problem(s). I use a 15 (US)
          gallon beer keg made of stainless and the rest is copper (pot still) and
          have been making pretty good "drink" for a good while now. I have read a
          countless number of hours on many different sites, magazines and books and
          have never found anything to the contrary about mixing stainless and copper.
          Even aluminum may be appropriate in some cases! But for durability, you
          may want to use stainless for the entire operation. I encourage you to
          read as much as you can, and, of course, obtain advise from these very
          knowlegeable people here on this site. Hey! Please don't blow yourself up!
          David from Cajunland (US) :-)

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • m4goose@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
            Hi Chris,
            I just built and started using a stillmaker still, and it works
            grandly.
            The tower took a lot of soldering but came out nicely. and I use it on a
            stainless-steel boiler ( a milk can). I insalled my thermometer in the side
            instead of the top, but otherwise followed the plans. I packed it with pot
            scrubbers.
            Mark
          • Warren Ransom
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
              oops, sent that off too early..
              I found that web site and thought ... what a perfect combination of my two
              favourite pastimes :)