blue distillate?

  • John Wesley Stearns
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
      Hi,I'm a new member and have been making my own rum for about
      5 years.Lately,my apperatus has been putting out a blue tinge to
      my product so that I have to run it twice.I have a column still,and
      have been cleaning it with vinegar.It comes quite clean,bot next time
      I use it Ihave the same problem.I am using a pid controller and
      running at 185 f.Any help would be greatly appreciated...TIA Brewzz
    • miciofelice2003
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
        Hi John.

        What kind of material is your column built?

        ciao

        micio felice

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wesley Stearns"

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
          <brewzz@...> wrote:

          > Hi,I'm a new member and have been making my own rum for about
          > 5 years.Lately,my apperatus has been putting out a blue tinge to
          > my product so that I have to run it twice.I have a column still,and
          > have been cleaning it with vinegar.It comes quite clean,bot next time
          > I use it Ihave the same problem.I am using a pid controller and
          > running at 185 f.Any help would be greatly appreciated...TIA Brewzz

          If it's only recently started happening, then look at what's changed
          in your setup, ingredients or procedure.
          Blue tinge is usually caused by ammonia reaction with copper. The
          ammonia comes from over-use of nutrients. Many people use turbo
          yeasts, which contain all the nutrients necessary. But some people
          add extra nutrients in the belief that 'some is good so more is
          better'. Not so. If using turbos, DON'T add anything! If you're
          using other yeasts, go by the maker's instructions for nutrients.

          In your case, doing rums, if you're using molasses as a basic
          ingredient, then it only needs extra thiamine (vitamin B1) and a bit
          of citric acid (molasses is somewhat alkaline, which inhibits
          fermentation) and any non-turbo yeast.
          The turbos will work with molasses, but there's always a risk of
          residual nutrients in the wash as molasses is so rich naturally. If
          you're just doing sugar, or sugar/molasses combo, then turbos will be
          fine.

        • John Wesley Stearns
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wesley Stearns"
            > <brewzz@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,I'm a new member and have been making my own rum for about
            > > 5 years.Lately,my apperatus has been putting out a blue tinge to
            > > my product so that I have to run it twice.I have a column still,and
            > > have been cleaning it with vinegar.It comes quite clean,bot next time
            > > I use it Ihave the same problem.I am using a pid controller and
            > > running at 185 f.Any help would be greatly appreciated...TIA Brewzz
            > >

            > If it's only recently started happening, then look at what's changed
            > in your setup, ingredients or procedure.
            > Blue tinge is usually caused by ammonia reaction with copper. The
            > ammonia comes from over-use of nutrients. Many people use turbo
            > yeasts, which contain all the nutrients necessary. But some people
            > add extra nutrients in the belief that 'some is good so more is
            > better'. Not so. If using turbos, DON'T add anything! If you're
            > using other yeasts, go by the maker's instructions for nutrients.
            >
            > In your case, doing rums, if you're using molasses as a basic
            > ingredient, then it only needs extra thiamine (vitamin B1) and a bit
            > of citric acid (molasses is somewhat alkaline, which inhibits
            > fermentation) and any non-turbo yeast.
            > The turbos will work with molasses, but there's always a risk of
            > residual nutrients in the wash as molasses is so rich naturally. If
            > you're just doing sugar, or sugar/molasses combo, then turbos will be
            > fine.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Thanks for answering Harry,
            I have been using turbo 48 yeast for years and adding nothing
            extra,just cane sugar.This started happening the last 4 uses.I think I
            may not be cleaning things as well as I used to,lazyness.I have a
            copper column reflux with S.S. scrubbers, and don't really do any
            seperating except the foreshots,about 50ml.I have soaked the column in
            vinegar for a couple hours and followed with a hot water and dishsoap
            rinse.Normally I just do the hot water and soap after use.Should I be
            doing a better job cleaning between uses?Are there better ways to
            clean it?Thanks for any help...Brewzz
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 13, 2006
              <brewzz@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for answering Harry,
              > I have been using turbo 48 yeast for years and adding nothing
              > extra,just cane sugar.This started happening the last 4 uses.I think
              > may not be cleaning things as well as I used to,lazyness.I have a
              > copper column reflux with S.S. scrubbers, and don't really do any
              > seperating except the foreshots,about 50ml.I have soaked the column
              in
              > vinegar for a couple hours and followed with a hot water and dishsoap
              > rinse.Normally I just do the hot water and soap after use.Should I be
              > doing a better job cleaning between uses?Are there better ways to
              > clean it?Thanks for any help...Brewzz

              John,
              Your cleaning regimen is not the problem. Poor cleaning leads to blue-
              green flecks appearing in the distillate, not blue tinge. Ammonia in
              the wash is the problem. What you have to work out is where it's
              coming from. Do you use molasses? If so, have you changed your
              source, or has your supplier changed their source? Animal feed grade
              molasses often has added urea which could account for an over-
              abundance of ammonia-producing compounds. Whatever the source, rest
              assured it's ammonia that's causing the blue tinge.

            • John Wesley Stearns
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wesley Stearns"
                > <brewzz@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > Thanks for answering Harry,
                > > I have been using turbo 48 yeast for years and adding nothing
                > > extra,just cane sugar.This started happening the last 4 uses.I
                think
                > > may not be cleaning things as well as I used to,lazyness.I have a
                > > copper column reflux with S.S. scrubbers, and don't really do any
                > > seperating except the foreshots,about 50ml.I have soaked the
                column
                > in
                > > vinegar for a couple hours and followed with a hot water and
                dishsoap
                > > rinse.Normally I just do the hot water and soap after use.Should
                I be
                > > doing a better job cleaning between uses?Are there better ways to
                > > clean it?Thanks for any help...Brewzz
                > >

                > John,
                > Your cleaning regimen is not the problem. Poor cleaning leads to
                blue-
                > green flecks appearing in the distillate, not blue tinge. Ammonia
                in
                > the wash is the problem. What you have to work out is where it's
                > coming from. Do you use molasses? If so, have you changed your
                > source, or has your supplier changed their source? Animal feed
                grade
                > molasses often has added urea which could account for an over-
                > abundance of ammonia-producing compounds. Whatever the source,
                rest
                > assured it's ammonia that's causing the blue tinge.
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                Harry,
                Another thing I thought of is that I usually dump everything from the
                fermenter into the boil kettle.Could it be that the dead yeast and
                leftover nutrients contribute to the blue?.Also,
                This started when I left the still on for several hours longer that I
                wanted to,approx 12 hrs @185F because I couldn't get home when I
                needed to.Also,I don't use any thing other than table sugar in the
                wash..Thanks John
              • kirtgk
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
                  i also had aproblew with the blue stuff. i was told it was because
                  the wash was alkaline. weather the ammonia is causing it to be
                  alkaline im not sure. my soulotion to it was to add citric acid to
                  the boiler with the wash. those littel plastic lemons at the
                  supermarket are concentrated lemon juice and i add 1/2 of them
                  littel buggers for each run and it has chased the blue booze away.

                  i also use alcotec 48, water (well) and cane sugar, and this
                  happened to me about 1-2 months ago. wonder if there is a problem
                  with the yeast causing the blue?

                  harry could this be possiable???

                  hoping to help

                  kirtgk

                  <brewzz@...> wrote:

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wesley Stearns"
                  > > <brewzz@> wrote:
                  > > > >
                  > > > Thanks for answering Harry,
                  > > > I have been using turbo 48 yeast for years and adding nothing
                  > > > extra,just cane sugar.This started happening the last 4 uses.I
                  > think
                  > > > may not be cleaning things as well as I used to,lazyness.I
                  have a
                  > > > copper column reflux with S.S. scrubbers, and don't really do
                  any
                  > > > seperating except the foreshots,about 50ml.I have soaked the
                  > column
                  > > in
                  > > > vinegar for a couple hours and followed with a hot water and
                  > dishsoap
                  > > > rinse.Normally I just do the hot water and soap after
                  use.Should
                  > I be
                  > > > doing a better job cleaning between uses?Are there better ways
                  > > > clean it?Thanks for any help...Brewzz
                  > > >

                  > > John,
                  > > Your cleaning regimen is not the problem. Poor cleaning leads
                  > blue-
                  > > green flecks appearing in the distillate, not blue tinge.
                  Ammonia
                  > in
                  > > the wash is the problem. What you have to work out is where
                  it's
                  > > coming from. Do you use molasses? If so, have you changed your
                  > > source, or has your supplier changed their source? Animal feed
                  > grade
                  > > molasses often has added urea which could account for an over-
                  > > abundance of ammonia-producing compounds. Whatever the source,
                  > rest
                  > > assured it's ammonia that's causing the blue tinge.
                  > >

                  > > Slainte!
                  > > regards Harry
                  > >
                  > Harry,
                  > Another thing I thought of is that I usually dump everything from
                  the
                  > fermenter into the boil kettle.Could it be that the dead yeast and
                  > leftover nutrients contribute to the blue?.Also,
                  > This started when I left the still on for several hours longer
                  that I
                  > wanted to,approx 12 hrs @185F because I couldn't get home when I
                  > needed to.Also,I don't use any thing other than table sugar in the
                  > wash..Thanks John

                • tim smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
                    John..they should call you Homer...:)
                    --- John Wesley Stearns <brewzz@...> wrote:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry"
                    > <gnikomson2000@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John
                    > Wesley Stearns"
                    > > <brewzz@> wrote:
                    > > > >
                    > > > Thanks for answering Harry,
                    > > > I have been using turbo 48 yeast for years and
                    > adding nothing
                    > > > extra,just cane sugar.This started happening the
                    > last 4 uses.I
                    > think
                    > > > may not be cleaning things as well as I used
                    > to,lazyness.I have a
                    > > > copper column reflux with S.S. scrubbers, and
                    > don't really do any
                    > > > seperating except the foreshots,about 50ml.I
                    > have soaked the
                    > column
                    > > in
                    > > > vinegar for a couple hours and followed with a
                    > hot water and
                    > dishsoap
                    > > > rinse.Normally I just do the hot water and soap
                    > after use.Should
                    > I be
                    > > > doing a better job cleaning between uses?Are
                    > there better ways to
                    > > > clean it?Thanks for any help...Brewzz
                    > > >

                    > > John,
                    > > Your cleaning regimen is not the problem. Poor
                    > cleaning leads to
                    > blue-
                    > > green flecks appearing in the distillate, not blue
                    > tinge. Ammonia
                    > in
                    > > the wash is the problem. What you have to work
                    > out is where it's
                    > > coming from. Do you use molasses? If so, have
                    > you changed your
                    > > source, or has your supplier changed their source?
                    > Animal feed
                    > grade
                    > > molasses often has added urea which could account
                    > for an over-
                    > > abundance of ammonia-producing compounds.
                    > Whatever the source,
                    > rest
                    > > assured it's ammonia that's causing the blue
                    > tinge.
                    > >

                    > > Slainte!
                    > > regards Harry
                    > >
                    > Harry,
                    > Another thing I thought of is that I usually dump
                    > everything from the
                    > fermenter into the boil kettle.Could it be that the
                    > dead yeast and
                    > leftover nutrients contribute to the blue?.Also,
                    > This started when I left the still on for several
                    > hours longer that I
                    > wanted to,approx 12 hrs @185F because I couldn't get
                    > home when I
                    > needed to.Also,I don't use any thing other than
                    > table sugar in the
                    > wash..Thanks John

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • duds2u
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 14, 2006
                      I had a similar problem about a month ago. I made a sugar wash and
                      Alcotec 48, nothing else. Wonder if here is a trend starting to
                      appear?

                      I have used the Alcotec 48 for quite a while now without any
                      problems but then again I was using an all stainless rig before. As
                      it was the first time I had used my new copper still I thought it
                      may have been caused by something left over that had not been
                      cleaned out properly. Before I ran it the next time I cleaned it all
                      again with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and got good clean spirit.

                      I have another one down at the moment and will let you know if I
                      have problems when I cook it off.
                      Cheers
                      Duds