RE: [new_distillers] Australian Distillation Act of 1901 recentlyrepealed

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
      I met a cop at my sister's place recently, he has cop mates that have their own stills...

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
        Comments interspersed...

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Brad McMahon <bmcmahon@...>
        wrote:

        > OK that was an amendment act, so now you need to look at what they
        have
        > done to the actual acts.
        > They have repealed the Distillation Act and put the relevant parts
        > inside the Excise Act 1901. Housekeeping if you will.

        > Here are the relevant sections:
        >
        > Part IIIâ€"Manufacturers, producers and dealers
        > Division 1â€"Manufacturers
        > 25 Only licensed manufacturers to manufacture excisable goods
        > (1) A person who does not hold a manufacturer
        licence must
        > not intentionally manufacture excisable goods knowing, or being
        reckless
        > as to whether, the goods are excisable goods.
        > Penalty: 2 years imprisonment or the greater of:
        > (a) 500 penalty units; and
        > (b) 5 times the amount of duty that would be
        > payable if the goods had been entered for home consumption on the
        > penalty day.
        > Note: See section 4AA of the Crimes Act 1914 for the current value
        of a
        > penalty unit.

        ..............Currently 1 penalty unit = $60. Currently excise duty
        on spirits is $62.64 per litre of pure alcohol.
        So the possible penalties are
        1) 2 years in the pokey or
        2) $30,000 for amounts of ethanol 1 to 478.9 litres, or 5 x $62.64 x
        amount for volumes over 478.9 litres.

        > (2) A person who does not hold a manufacturer
        licence must
        > not manufacture excisable goods.
        > Penalty: 100 penalty units.

        ............That's another $6,000 in fines for no licence.

        > (3) Strict liability applies to subsection (2).
        >
        > AND:
        >
        > 77FK Offence in relation to stills
        > (1) A person commits an offence if:
        > (a) the person does any of the following things:
        > (i) makes or commences to make any still;
        > (ii) removes, sets up or erects any still;
        > (iii) sells or otherwise disposes of, or
        purchases or
        > otherwise acquires any still, either by itself or with other
        property,
        > or as part of any premises;
        > (iv) imports any still;
        > (v) has possession, custody or control of any
        still;
        > and
        > (b) the still is of a capacity exceeding 5 litres;
        and
        > (c) the person is not a licensed manufacturer; and
        > (d) the person has not been given permission by
        the CEO
        > to do the thing.
        >
        > Penalty: 50 penalty units.

        ..............That's another $3,000 in fines for possession or
        fabrication or ownership or importation without a licence from the
        CEO, if the still capacity exceeds 5 litres.

        > ***
        > So, nothing major has changed, stills <= 5L are still legal.
        > Manufacturing alcohol without a licence still isn't.
        > Under 77FE and 7FF though you can apply for permission to distill
        > for industrial, manufacturing, scientific, medical, veterinary or
        > educational purpose, either a once off or a specific amount per
        month or
        > year.

        ...............Yup, that covers chemists who need alcohol for making
        up concoctions, and licenced schools/educators who teach chemistry
        or ChE.

        Now what I'd like to know is how do they determine the capacity of a
        still. Is it by pot size? What if it doesn't have a pot? Is it by
        column volume? Is it by the output of a single run? What if your
        still is a small continuous column 50mm x 1 metre tall? The volume
        of that is 2 litres, but it can put out up to 1 litre per hour, all
        day every day while ever there is beer to feed it!

        As ever, the law is ambiguous, open to interpretation, and gives me
        no confidence whatsoever in legislator's abilities to apply
        commonsense to making fair & equitable laws about our hobby. Beer &
        winemakers can go their hardest at home production, but we must
        forever be branded criminals, it seems. Keep yer head down until
        they say flat out that we're not on the radar.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006

          > ..............Currently 1 penalty unit = $60. Currently excise duty
          > on spirits is $62.64 per litre of pure alcohol.
          > So the possible penalties are
          > 1) 2 years in the pokey or
          > 2) $30,000 for amounts of ethanol 1 to 478.9 litres, or 5 x $62.64 x
          > amount for volumes over 478.9 litres.

          Amend that.

          2) $30,000 for amounts of ethanol 1 to 95 litres.
          Above that amount it's 5 times the excise, IOW $313.20 PER LITRE for
          96 litres and over.

          Jesus H Christ! Next they'll be wanting my first-born! Maybe I
          should emigrate to UnZud. ;-))

        • johnwisbey@libero.it
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
            Blimey..and I thought England was unfriendly>

            John Wisbey
            Tel: ( 0039) 0173529505
            Fax: (0039) 0173 529942
            Mobile: (0039) 338 2422895
            e-mail: johnwisbey@...

            www.piedmontproperty.com www.piedmont-holidays.com www.nicltd.co.uk
          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
              Makes store-bought look cheap!!

              I'm so glad I live in NZ (you're welcome, Harry!). But isn't it
              incredible that we are talking of a 1901 act! It just needs scrapping
              and starting again.

              Bloody stupid politicians.

              Cheers and commiserations,
              Lindsay.

              PS When I visit Qland, I will come and visit you in the pokey!!

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
              > wrote:

              > 2) $30,000 for amounts of ethanol 1 to 95 litres.
              > Above that amount it's 5 times the excise, IOW $313.20 PER LITRE for
              > 96 litres and over.
              >
              > Jesus H Christ! Next they'll be wanting my first-born! Maybe I
              > should emigrate to UnZud. ;-))
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2006
                yairsss, and the same cops will charge you if they get half a chance. I know cops who busted uni students and sold most of what they confiscated...blanikdawg

                NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!

                My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/