Re: Yeast optimal temp

  • Allan DeGroot
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2006
      On the other extreem, Fermenting a Molasses wash to make rum
      simply won't taste right if you ferment it in "cool" temperatures.

      Though most rum distilleries have to water cool their fermenters
      to prevent "overheating" the yeast, the intent is for a FAST
      fermentation of 48 to no more than 72 hours.

      there are fungus and bacterial infections that can take hold if the
      fermentation goes any longer...

      It's the same basic reason virtually all commercial distilleries
      try for a quick fermentation.... Not to mention that something like
      90% of the alcohol is produced in the first 72 hours of active
      fermentation....

      Added to this the sooner they get it out of the fermentation tank the
      sooner they an start the next badge.

      AllanD

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
      <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

      > Higher temps usually produce more Phenolics and other nasties (
      drawing a blank ) I like 68F to 75F tops. I dont like the paint
      thinner smell from some high temp yeast.Red Star is not high temp .