RE: [new_distillers] cooling design

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
      Usually, if on "town supply", you'd just hook up the cooling water to a
      regular tap.

      If however you're in the country, and tank/well water is scarce, you can
      circulate it from a tank. If doing this though, you need a fair amount of
      water in the circuit - probably like 400L. I had problems when doing it out
      of a 200L supply as the water heated up too much over time. Some people get
      around this by freezing a couple of 2L PET bottles full of water, and using
      these to help cool the supply. If running off tank water, it can be as
      simple as just making sure you return the water to the main house tank.

      Tony
    • deathstalker@netease.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2000
        --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, sweetquvii@h... wrote:
        > Hi my name is Quvii and I have been looking into making a reflux
        > tower still. On stillmakers page the design shows where to hook
        up
        > the water lines but there isnt any mention of what is used to pump
        > the water through. Do I just hook it to a house tap or should I
        have
        > a separate tank with its own pump?

        well if it was me i'd use a seperate pump and resorvoir. the aquarium
        pumps called "powerheads" or just a plain submersible pond pump would
        be good and cheap. as for my pump i have on order a 1/2 h.p. cast
        iron
        pump from www.harborfreight.com . it has 1" pipe threads and is rated
        at 330 gallons per hour and runs off 115v. total cost after shipping
        was like $33 U.S.. i'm planning to use the same pump for a RIMS
        system
        and hoping it can handle 170 degrees plus. good luck on your prodject.
      • Bposs112@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2000
          the pump i have is a artifical pond pump and it works great. they sell for
          about 20 bucks.