Re: Smirnoff ice

  • Allan DeGroot
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
      Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
      Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

      what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
      through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
      color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

      They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
      way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
      taxed.

      You's think it's be easier and cheaper to make it with neutral spirt,
      lemon juice and water, but due to the disparity in taxation...

      Making your own? is it so tough to add a liter of neutral spirit
      to 5gallons of Lemonaid?
      If you want it carbonated you basically need to be a homebrewer
      Who kegs and force carbonates their beer.

      AllanD

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

      > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
      > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
      >
      > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
      some
      > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
      > after the fermentation.
      >
      > anyone have any ideas?
      >
      > thanks,
      > -Tyler

    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
        Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes them
        with malt liquor.

        In Canada, they're vodka based.

        Per the original question: Some essence makers make a flavouring for turbo
        wash, to produce a fruity wine cooler sort of thing.

        Personally, I just put a can of frozen lemonade in a pitcher with say a
        fifth of vodka and top up with soda water.

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

        Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
        Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

        what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
        through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
        color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

        They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
        way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
        taxed.

        AllanD

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

        > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
        > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
        >
        > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
        some
        > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
        > after the fermentation.
        >
        > anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > thanks,
        > -Tyler

      • Brad McMahon
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
          On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:33 -0400, Brendan Keith wrote:
          > Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes
          > them
          > with malt liquor.
          >
          > In Canada, they're vodka based.

          In Australia, RTDs (Ready-To-Drink) are often white wine based.

        • Allan DeGroot
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
            In the United States it's a matter of federal Tax law.

            Though the product will be made at different alcohol content
            to meet differeing state regulations if you actually find a bottle
            that isn't "Flavored Malt Beverage" I'd like to see the empty bottle.

            In Canada? I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see Smirnoff Ice actually
            made with Smirnoff Vodka. Made that way it'd probably give you less
            of a hangover as well.

            AllanD

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>