Re: Anyone tried Fruit juice concentrate syrup? I have a few gallons I want to try.

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
      <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

      > Its said to work best in an acid . Try a small batch with the
      PH.adjusted to a wine spec Ph5.5 ?

      Donald,
      The problem is not that simple to overcome. Yes it would work as
      you suggest, but the real issue is the formation of carcinogenic
      benzene via the reaction of Sodium Benzoate and Ascorbic Acid
      (vit.C.) under distillation. Heat makes the reaction progress
      rapidly, and of course benzene, once formed, then boils at 80.1°C.
      Guess where it ends up? Yup, in yer booze, and at a lot higher
      dosage than the allowable limits.

      Good article on the benzene issue here...
      http://www.beveragedaily.com/news/ng.asp?n=66084-benzene-soft-drinks-
      aba

    • donald holcombe
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
        I guess that shoots that idea in the foot ! I got a 20L of Sprite I was thinkin of myself. AAAhhh Hell carcinogens only kill Lab Rats ! ? Right ? ? ?

        Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe