Re: Insulation

  • cartierusm2004
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 28, 2006

      Here is a pic of my reflux still. I'm going to be replacing the
      stuff that's on it now with some of the fiberglass automobile header
      wrap. Question, should I wrap it from the bottom all the way up to
      the top, interweaving it in between the cooling tubes going through
      the column?

      Here is my new pot still I made. I used fitting to pinch it at the
      bottom as I see a lot of scotch pot stills pinched at the base of
      the column before the boiler. Should I insulate this top to bottom
      and should I insulate the arm up until I reach the condenser?

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "William Hutchins"
      <whutchins998@...> wrote:

      > Fiberglass is probably the cheapest and most common pipe
      > insulation suitable for higher temperatures. Hoever it is not that
      > great in an application like this (as smaller still) where it
      will get
      > frequently handling - itbreaks down into particles which are
      > neither good to eat, breathe, or get in your skin.
      >
      > Cardboard, on the other hand, is easy to work with, effective, and
      > has no negative side - heck, you can eat it. If it wasn't so
      > common, I could probably sell it here for $5 a foot as the
      > ultimate food safe, environmentally responsible insulator.

    • Daddymam
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 16, 2010
        Hello Folks

        It has been a while since my last post but I do have a question.

        I bought some standard insulation, pink type that is rated up to 250 degrees. This insulation does not have any paper on it, it is just the fiberglass.

        Question;

        If I wrap it in aluminum foil (commercial grade) could I then use this to insulate my 2in by 2ft column? I would wrap it around the column and attach it with zip strips.

        Daddyman

        The best for last
      • Daddymam
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 18, 2010
          Wondered if anyone had any ideas.

          I put this together this weekend and instead of using zip strips that could melt I used bailing wire.

          Daddyman

          The best for last.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 19, 2010
            Hi Daddy,

            That pink stuff (they used to have the pink panther advertise it) should
            be fine for insulating a column. I know we used it to insulate our hot
            water heater in the unheated basement and saved about 10% on electric
            bills during the winter months.

            You shouldnt need to worry about burning or anything since its
            fiberglass just on the column and not in direct heat. Its more then
            capable of handling 210F, which is the hottest it will get.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            wrote:

            > Wondered if anyone had any ideas.
            >
            > I put this together this weekend and instead of using zip strips that
            could melt I used bailing wire.

            > Daddyman
            >
            > The best for last.
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Daddymam" daddyman00126@
            wrote:

            > > Hello Folks
            > >
            > > It has been a while since my last post but I do have a question.
            > >
            > > I bought some standard insulation, pink type that is rated up to 250
            degrees. This insulation does not have any paper on it, it is just the
            fiberglass.

            > > Question;
            > >
            > > If I wrap it in aluminum foil (commercial grade) could I then use
            this to insulate my 2in by 2ft column? I would wrap it around the column
            and attach it with zip strips.

            > > Daddyman
            > >
            > > The best for last

          • Daddymam
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 19, 2010
              Thanks Jim for your response.

              Talking with the guys at HD (Home Depot) they suggested a space between the column (I said steam pipe) and the insulation. The space would act as another insulator and I would get less heat transfer to the fiberglass.

              This sounds like a double wall column. Has anyone tried this trick or is it not worthy of the time and money that would be involved creating a double walled column?

              Daddyman

              The best for last.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 19, 2010
                Peronally, I wouldn't think so, but you should get the opinion of some reflux gurus around here.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Daddymam" <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Jim for your response.
                >
                > Talking with the guys at HD (Home Depot) they suggested a space between the column (I said steam pipe) and the insulation. The space would act as another insulator and I would get less heat transfer to the fiberglass.
                >
                > This sounds like a double wall column. Has anyone tried this trick or is it not worthy of the time and money that would be involved creating a double walled column?
                >
                > Daddyman
                >
                > The best for last.
              • dcrawford010
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 19, 2010
                  I'd look for Armaflex pipe insulation - find it at your heating installer or hardware store. Comes pre-formed to fit various pipe sizes. Either zip-tie or use an adhesive (on the joints of the foam, not the pipe!!) No muss/no fuss/no fiberglass particles floating around everywhere....

                  http://tinyurl.com/ygjm893

                  http://tinyurl.com/ykcuh6o

                  DC

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Daddymam" <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Folks
                  >
                  > It has been a while since my last post but I do have a question.
                  >
                  > I bought some standard insulation, pink type that is rated up to 250 degrees. This insulation does not have any paper on it, it is just the fiberglass.
                  >
                  > Question;
                  >
                  > If I wrap it in aluminum foil (commercial grade) could I then use this to insulate my 2in by 2ft column? I would wrap it around the column and attach it with zip strips.
                  >
                  > Daddyman
                  >
                  > The best for last

                • triddlywinks
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 19, 2010
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Daddymam" <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Jim for your response.
                    >
                    > Talking with the guys at HD (Home Depot) they suggested a space between the column (I said steam pipe) and the insulation. The space would act as another insulator and I would get less heat transfer to the fiberglass.

                    Hey all,
                    Don't overthink this. Remember, the vapors in your column will NEVER get hotter than the temperature of boiling water (212F/100C). You can use virtually anything to insulate your column...towels, fiberglass, armaflex, the black foam pipe insulation you put on your hot water piping. Anything that wouldn't melt or combust at the temperature of boiling water will do the trick. At no point should your column to subjected to naked flame or a direct heating source, so those shouldn't even enter as a consideration.

                    I've had really good luck with the black foam pipe insulation sleeves, though finding it sized for 2" took a little looking.

                    Trid
                    - I've used towels frequently, too
                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 20, 2010
                      I used silver bubble wrap ang alum duct tape for the top 1/2 of the boiler and column works great no melting