Re: oaking for colour and flavour

  • Trid
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2006
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "parkst5356" <parkst5356@...>
      wrote:

      > trid, when you guys are talking about using charred oak in spirit to
      > make bourbon are you talking about potstilled grains or neutral
      > spirit? i'm just a reflux stiller of sugar washes and bottled
      > flavourings.can you get a decent tasting bourbon using neutral
      spirit
      > and then do what you guys do with the charred oak? thanks for any
      > advice.

      My advice would be to try both. You can use neutral spirits, but
      consider that you'll taste mostly the effects of the wood and not the
      character of the distillate too. This isn't necessarily a bad
      thing...just a thing.

      Flavors from the grains/grapes/molasses carries over after
      fermentation and distillation and adds a little something that won't
      quite be reproduced any other way. However, they can be closely
      simulated by either adding essences or your own mixture of flavors.