RE: [new_distillers] cooling design

  • Bennett, Mark E
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
      Quvii
      I originally used mains water but found that as the pressure varied
      during the run the flow rate of cooling water varied and this would affect
      the output stability and quality and as the mains pressure in my area is
      above 100 psi it was very difficult to set a low flow rate and not destroy
      tape seats. What I did was to install a 20 litre header tank fitted with a
      toilet bowl float switch (20 litre plastic water container fitted with
      fluidmaster float switch in shed rafters)connected to the mains. I used the
      output socket on the 20 litre container to supply water to my still and this
      provided a stable low pressure supply that could be easily controlled at low
      flow rates with greatly improved the stability.

    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
        Usually, if on "town supply", you'd just hook up the cooling water to a
        regular tap.

        If however you're in the country, and tank/well water is scarce, you can
        circulate it from a tank. If doing this though, you need a fair amount of
        water in the circuit - probably like 400L. I had problems when doing it out
        of a 200L supply as the water heated up too much over time. Some people get
        around this by freezing a couple of 2L PET bottles full of water, and using
        these to help cool the supply. If running off tank water, it can be as
        simple as just making sure you return the water to the main house tank.

        Tony
      • deathstalker@netease.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2000
          --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, sweetquvii@h... wrote:
          > Hi my name is Quvii and I have been looking into making a reflux
          > tower still. On stillmakers page the design shows where to hook
          up
          > the water lines but there isnt any mention of what is used to pump
          > the water through. Do I just hook it to a house tap or should I
          have
          > a separate tank with its own pump?

          well if it was me i'd use a seperate pump and resorvoir. the aquarium
          pumps called "powerheads" or just a plain submersible pond pump would
          be good and cheap. as for my pump i have on order a 1/2 h.p. cast
          iron
          pump from www.harborfreight.com . it has 1" pipe threads and is rated
          at 330 gallons per hour and runs off 115v. total cost after shipping
          was like $33 U.S.. i'm planning to use the same pump for a RIMS
          system
          and hoping it can handle 170 degrees plus. good luck on your prodject.
        • Bposs112@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 24, 2000
            the pump i have is a artifical pond pump and it works great. they sell for
            about 20 bucks.