Ruff Stuff

  • serv_first
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hi everyone...

      Last October, I made a few batches of cracked corn and Apple hootch. I
      took great care to isolate just the middle run. All of it has been
      aging in 4 - two gallon chared oak barrels , about 9 months now.

      At this point all the batches have great color and taste but, I notice
      it is a little ruff on the pipes going down.

      Do the batches just need more time in the barrels or is there a way to
      smooth them out? Maybe add sugar? If so how much.

      Thanks GB
    • donald holcombe

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
          Hi Don.

          I diluted all of it to about 40% prior to putting it in the barrel.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
            For this batch, you could try about 1 teaspoon of glycerine pergallon
            (uk) ie go easy on it, but it can smoothe rough edges. In future, reuse
            the same barrel (and it should get milder) or dilute before barrelling
            (out of interest was the harshness there before aging in the barrels?).
            cheers
            Rob.

            --- Greg Basile <gbasile@...> wrote:

            > Hi Don.
            >
            > I diluted all of it to about 40% prior to putting it in the barrel.

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Greg Basile
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
              Hi Rob,
              Its hard to tell if the roughness was there before barreling for a combination of reasons,
              1. When collecting the middle run the abv% is really high sampling at that time only gives me the burn.
              2. Sampling after dilution normally is much easier on the pallet, but still hard to determine how the finished product will taste.
              3. Continued sampling over an extended period of time always skews my results, (naturally for the better)!

              Also...These barrels that I used for these batches were brand new "charred" barrels. Could that make a difference?
              Thanks, Greg.

              --- Greg Basile <gbasile@...> wrote:

              > Hi Don.
              >
              > I diluted all of it to about 40% prior to putting it in the barrel.

              Cheers,
              Rob.

            • where in the world is kim
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
                Most whisky is aged in charred oak barrels at about 65% abv.... some brands are a little higher ... some a little lower...

                I would think that 40% would be a little low....

                from my experience, time does smooth the taste

                I have never used glycerine or filtered with charcoal.... I distill it at 90% or above and cut to 65% for aging

                I just take off the first 1/4 cup and toss it..... then I take everything until the temp begins to rise, then stop

                Kim

                --- Greg Basile <gbasile@...> wrote:

                > Hi Don.
                >
                > I diluted all of it to about 40% prior to putting it in the barrel.

                Cheers,
                Rob.

              • donald holcombe
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
                  Try a short carbon soak. Some whiskey is filtered before and after aging.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
                      Know what you mean Greg. I only asked on the off chance.
                      Most likely (I'd guess) is that you have got some harshness from the
                      fresh barrels. Hence my suggestion that you "smoothe' the product this
                      time (glycerine, or carbon soak as suggested elsewhere), and when you
                      reuse the barrels they should produce less harshness.
                      There is also alot to be said for parience. The harshness could be
                      almost anything, but if it is phenolic compounds, they oxidise,
                      polymerise and drop out after time.
                      cheers
                      Rob.

                      Cheers,
                      Rob.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Greg Basile
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 14, 2006
                        Thanks Rob..

                        --- Greg Basile <gbasile@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Rob,
                        > Its hard to tell if the roughness was there before barreling for a
                        > combination of reasons,
                        > 1. When collecting the middle run the abv% is really high sampling at
                        > that time only gives me the burn.
                        > 2. Sampling after dilution normally is much easier on the pallet, but
                        > still hard to determine how the finished product will taste.
                        > 3. Continued sampling over an extended period of time always skews my
                        > results, (naturally for the better)!
                        >
                        > Also...These barrels that I used for these batches were brand new
                        > "charred" barrels. Could that make a difference?
                        > Thanks, Greg.

                        Cheers,
                        Rob.

                      • Greg Basile
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 14, 2006
                          Hi Don..
                          Thanks for the info...
                          I do have a bag of activated charcoal purchased from brew store. Can I soak it now or is it too late? Will it loose it's nice color and flavor from the barrel?
                          Thanks GB

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 14, 2006
                            Hi Kim..
                            Thanks for the info...
                            Next batch I will try the higher 65abv% before barreling. I use a pot still, so I don't think 90%abv is possible. The best my rig can do is about 81%. Question about the 1/4 cup you chuck out... Is that the foreshots?
                            Thanks again, GB

                            --- Greg Basile <gbasile@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Don.
                            >
                            > I diluted all of it to about 40% prior to putting it in the barrel.

                            Cheers,
                            Rob.

                          • donald holcombe

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 14, 2006
                                GB

                                yea... I take off the 1st 1/4 cup very slowly .... it usually smells like nail polish remover.....I use a reflux still

                                with a pot still it is a little harder to separate the foreshots.... so you might need to toss a little more .... just a thought, you might want to hear from other pot still users on that.....

                                Kim

                                --- Greg Basile <gbasile@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Don.
                                >
                                > I diluted all of it to about 40% prior to putting it in the barrel.

                                Cheers,
                                Rob.

                              • Allan DeGroot
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                                  You've waited only about a third as long as I would have waited.

                                  Calvados (straight apple) is aged for 2 years and it still has a
                                  Bite like Cognac.... Corn is going to have more of a bite.

                                  AllanD

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe
                                  <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                                  > Try this next time . Carbon soak for a couple of weeks before and
                                  after aging next time. The new barrels are usualy harsher than the
                                  used ones.

                                  > serv_first <gbasile@...> wrote:
                                  > Hi everyone...
                                  >
                                  > Last October, I made a few batches of cracked corn and Apple
                                  hootch. I
                                  > took great care to isolate just the middle run. All of it has been
                                  > aging in 4 - two gallon chared oak barrels , about 9 months now.
                                  >
                                  > At this point all the batches have great color and taste but, I
                                  notice
                                  > it is a little ruff on the pipes going down.
                                  >
                                  > Do the batches just need more time in the barrels or is there a way
                                  > smooth them out? Maybe add sugar? If so how much.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks GB

                                • Allan DeGroot
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                                    Jack Daniels and George Dickel (Tennesse style Whiskey)
                                    are "charcoal Mellowed" over Maple Charcoal BEFORE
                                    barrel aging.

                                    They only filter after barrel aging (usually chilled)to prevent your
                                    whiskey from having lumps in it, and it's chilled to keep it from
                                    becomming cloudy when you drink it over ice.