cooling design

  • sweetquvii@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
      Hi my name is Quvii and I have been looking into making a reflux
      tower still. On stillmakers page the design shows where to hook up
      the water lines but there isnt any mention of what is used to pump
      the water through. Do I just hook it to a house tap or should I have
      a separate tank with its own pump?
    • colt
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
        Quvii, i am very new to distilling, still waiting for
        my first run to be ready. but i am going to use a
        small submersable pump from my saltwater reef aquaium
        to circulate the water. these pumps are cheap from pet
        stores, or cheaper from the "net". $50(US) and less.
        brian
        --- sweetquvii@... wrote:
        > Hi my name is Quvii and I have been looking into
        > making a reflux
        > tower still. On stillmakers page the design shows
        > where to hook up
        > the water lines but there isnt any mention of what
        > is used to pump
        > the water through. Do I just hook it to a house tap
        > or should I have
        > a separate tank with its own pump?

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Bennett, Mark E
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
          Quvii
          I originally used mains water but found that as the pressure varied
          during the run the flow rate of cooling water varied and this would affect
          the output stability and quality and as the mains pressure in my area is
          above 100 psi it was very difficult to set a low flow rate and not destroy
          tape seats. What I did was to install a 20 litre header tank fitted with a
          toilet bowl float switch (20 litre plastic water container fitted with
          fluidmaster float switch in shed rafters)connected to the mains. I used the
          output socket on the 20 litre container to supply water to my still and this
          provided a stable low pressure supply that could be easily controlled at low
          flow rates with greatly improved the stability.

        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
            Usually, if on "town supply", you'd just hook up the cooling water to a
            regular tap.

            If however you're in the country, and tank/well water is scarce, you can
            circulate it from a tank. If doing this though, you need a fair amount of
            water in the circuit - probably like 400L. I had problems when doing it out
            of a 200L supply as the water heated up too much over time. Some people get
            around this by freezing a couple of 2L PET bottles full of water, and using
            these to help cool the supply. If running off tank water, it can be as
            simple as just making sure you return the water to the main house tank.

            Tony
          • deathstalker@netease.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 22, 2000
              --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, sweetquvii@h... wrote:
              > Hi my name is Quvii and I have been looking into making a reflux
              > tower still. On stillmakers page the design shows where to hook
              up
              > the water lines but there isnt any mention of what is used to pump
              > the water through. Do I just hook it to a house tap or should I
              have
              > a separate tank with its own pump?

              well if it was me i'd use a seperate pump and resorvoir. the aquarium
              pumps called "powerheads" or just a plain submersible pond pump would
              be good and cheap. as for my pump i have on order a 1/2 h.p. cast
              iron
              pump from www.harborfreight.com . it has 1" pipe threads and is rated
              at 330 gallons per hour and runs off 115v. total cost after shipping
              was like $33 U.S.. i'm planning to use the same pump for a RIMS
              system
              and hoping it can handle 170 degrees plus. good luck on your prodject.
            • Bposs112@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 24, 2000
                the pump i have is a artifical pond pump and it works great. they sell for
                about 20 bucks.