Re: Smirnoff ice

  • emailbenja
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3 8:52 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

      > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
      > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
      >
      > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
      > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
      > after the fermentation.
      >
      > anyone have any ideas?
      >
      > thanks,
      > -Tyler

      Have you actually read the ingredients on the bottle? the majority of
      the alcohol comes from cheapo wine, with only a dash of Smirnoff vodka
      to satisfy the Smirnoff branding. So i'm guessing most of the flavour
      is in the other ingredients, not from the vodka. Your idea to make a
      low wine and flavour it with some sorty of juice/cordial is probably
      the simplest- i think alcotech make a liquer pack which essentially
      does this, using a clearing agent after fermentation.
      cheers
      benja
    • Allan DeGroot
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
        Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
        Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

        what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
        through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
        color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

        They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
        way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
        taxed.

        You's think it's be easier and cheaper to make it with neutral spirt,
        lemon juice and water, but due to the disparity in taxation...

        Making your own? is it so tough to add a liter of neutral spirit
        to 5gallons of Lemonaid?
        If you want it carbonated you basically need to be a homebrewer
        Who kegs and force carbonates their beer.

        AllanD

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

        > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
        > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
        >
        > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
        some
        > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
        > after the fermentation.
        >
        > anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > thanks,
        > -Tyler

      • Allan DeGroot
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
          How about this one that's been popular at parties....

          Start with a 5gallon corny keg
          Add 3 32oz bottles of lemon juice, 1 liter of 100proof spirit
          one 5lb bag of sugar, though this is best predissolved in 6quarts of
          warm or even hot water and allowed to cool and sufficient water to
          fill the keg.

          Pressurize to 80psi and lay down in a 68quare coleman cooler and
          bury it in ice.

          Usually the drive to where it will be consumed will agitate it
          sufficiently to dissolve the gas.

          Substituting Lime juice and using tequila can be amusing

          Using only TWO quarts of lemon juice but adding a half gallon of
          grapefruit juice was met with rave reviews as well.

          AllanD

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@...>
          wrote:

          > Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
          > it was a bit hard on the heart burn though
          >

          > 8 large lemons
          > 10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
          > 2 lbs granulated sugar
          > 6-1/2 pts water
          > 1/4 tsp grape tannin
          > 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
          > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
          > Champagne wine yeast
          > Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons
          into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape
          juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to
          cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic
          enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity
          drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if
          required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack
          when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking
          water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6
          months before tasting.

          > That is with real lemons
          > here is one with concentrate
          > I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid
          >
          > but it is good
          >

          > 3 cans frozen juice concentrate
          > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
          > ½ to 1 cup sugar
          > 3 quarts water
          > Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne
          >
          > This is a hard one to get fermenting
          > with all of the acid
          > it is a real bear to get going
          > so make a big starter and get it rolling
          > that is for 1 gallon
          > Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
          > just about any flavor you want to give a whirl
          >
          > Ron
          >

          > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
          >
          > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how
          > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
          >
          > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
          some
          > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and
          nutriants
          > after the fermentation.
          >
          > anyone have any ideas?
          >
          > thanks,
          > -Tyler

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
            Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes them
            with malt liquor.

            In Canada, they're vodka based.

            Per the original question: Some essence makers make a flavouring for turbo
            wash, to produce a fruity wine cooler sort of thing.

            Personally, I just put a can of frozen lemonade in a pitcher with say a
            fifth of vodka and top up with soda water.

            --
            Brendan Keith
            bkeith@...

            Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
            Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

            what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
            through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
            color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

            They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
            way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
            taxed.

            AllanD

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

            > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
            > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
            >
            > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
            some
            > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
            > after the fermentation.
            >
            > anyone have any ideas?
            >
            > thanks,
            > -Tyler

          • Brad McMahon
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
              On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:33 -0400, Brendan Keith wrote:
              > Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes
              > them
              > with malt liquor.
              >
              > In Canada, they're vodka based.

              In Australia, RTDs (Ready-To-Drink) are often white wine based.

            • Allan DeGroot
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                In the United States it's a matter of federal Tax law.

                Though the product will be made at different alcohol content
                to meet differeing state regulations if you actually find a bottle
                that isn't "Flavored Malt Beverage" I'd like to see the empty bottle.

                In Canada? I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see Smirnoff Ice actually
                made with Smirnoff Vodka. Made that way it'd probably give you less
                of a hangover as well.

                AllanD

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>