Re: [new_distillers] Smirnoff ice

  • BigRon BigRon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
      Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
      it was a bit hard on the heart burn though

      8 large lemons
      10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
      2 lbs granulated sugar
      6-1/2 pts water
      1/4 tsp grape tannin
      1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
      1 tsp yeast nutrient
      Champagne wine yeast
      Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6 months before tasting.

      That is with real lemons
      here is one with concentrate
      I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid

      but it is good

      3 cans frozen juice concentrate
      1 tsp yeast nutrient
      ½ to 1 cup sugar
      3 quarts water
      Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne

      This is a hard one to get fermenting
      with all of the acid
      it is a real bear to get going
      so make a big starter and get it rolling
      that is for 1 gallon
      Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
      just about any flavor you want to give a whirl

      Ron

      tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

      I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
      could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.

      I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
      lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
      after the fermentation.

      anyone have any ideas?

      thanks,
      -Tyler

    • emailbenja
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

        > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
        > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
        >
        > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
        > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
        > after the fermentation.
        >
        > anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > thanks,
        > -Tyler

        Have you actually read the ingredients on the bottle? the majority of
        the alcohol comes from cheapo wine, with only a dash of Smirnoff vodka
        to satisfy the Smirnoff branding. So i'm guessing most of the flavour
        is in the other ingredients, not from the vodka. Your idea to make a
        low wine and flavour it with some sorty of juice/cordial is probably
        the simplest- i think alcotech make a liquer pack which essentially
        does this, using a clearing agent after fermentation.
        cheers
        benja
      • Allan DeGroot
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
          Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
          Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

          what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
          through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
          color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

          They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
          way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
          taxed.

          You's think it's be easier and cheaper to make it with neutral spirt,
          lemon juice and water, but due to the disparity in taxation...

          Making your own? is it so tough to add a liter of neutral spirit
          to 5gallons of Lemonaid?
          If you want it carbonated you basically need to be a homebrewer
          Who kegs and force carbonates their beer.

          AllanD

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

          > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
          > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
          >
          > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
          some
          > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
          > after the fermentation.
          >
          > anyone have any ideas?
          >
          > thanks,
          > -Tyler

        • Allan DeGroot
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
            How about this one that's been popular at parties....

            Start with a 5gallon corny keg
            Add 3 32oz bottles of lemon juice, 1 liter of 100proof spirit
            one 5lb bag of sugar, though this is best predissolved in 6quarts of
            warm or even hot water and allowed to cool and sufficient water to
            fill the keg.

            Pressurize to 80psi and lay down in a 68quare coleman cooler and
            bury it in ice.

            Usually the drive to where it will be consumed will agitate it
            sufficiently to dissolve the gas.

            Substituting Lime juice and using tequila can be amusing

            Using only TWO quarts of lemon juice but adding a half gallon of
            grapefruit juice was met with rave reviews as well.

            AllanD

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@...>
            wrote:

            > Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
            > it was a bit hard on the heart burn though
            >

            > 8 large lemons
            > 10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
            > 2 lbs granulated sugar
            > 6-1/2 pts water
            > 1/4 tsp grape tannin
            > 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
            > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
            > Champagne wine yeast
            > Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons
            into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape
            juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to
            cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic
            enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity
            drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if
            required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack
            when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking
            water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6
            months before tasting.

            > That is with real lemons
            > here is one with concentrate
            > I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid
            >
            > but it is good
            >

            > 3 cans frozen juice concentrate
            > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
            > ½ to 1 cup sugar
            > 3 quarts water
            > Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne
            >
            > This is a hard one to get fermenting
            > with all of the acid
            > it is a real bear to get going
            > so make a big starter and get it rolling
            > that is for 1 gallon
            > Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
            > just about any flavor you want to give a whirl
            >
            > Ron
            >

            > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
            >
            > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how
            > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
            >
            > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
            some
            > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and
            nutriants
            > after the fermentation.
            >
            > anyone have any ideas?
            >
            > thanks,
            > -Tyler

          • Brendan Keith
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
              Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes them
              with malt liquor.

              In Canada, they're vodka based.

              Per the original question: Some essence makers make a flavouring for turbo
              wash, to produce a fruity wine cooler sort of thing.

              Personally, I just put a can of frozen lemonade in a pitcher with say a
              fifth of vodka and top up with soda water.

              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...

              Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
              Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

              what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
              through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
              color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

              They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
              way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
              taxed.

              AllanD

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

              > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
              > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
              >
              > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
              some
              > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
              > after the fermentation.
              >
              > anyone have any ideas?
              >
              > thanks,
              > -Tyler

            • Brad McMahon
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:33 -0400, Brendan Keith wrote:
                > Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes
                > them
                > with malt liquor.
                >
                > In Canada, they're vodka based.

                In Australia, RTDs (Ready-To-Drink) are often white wine based.

              • Allan DeGroot
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                  In the United States it's a matter of federal Tax law.

                  Though the product will be made at different alcohol content
                  to meet differeing state regulations if you actually find a bottle
                  that isn't "Flavored Malt Beverage" I'd like to see the empty bottle.

                  In Canada? I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see Smirnoff Ice actually
                  made with Smirnoff Vodka. Made that way it'd probably give you less
                  of a hangover as well.

                  AllanD

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>