100mm column. Ideal length?

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      Gidday,

      Is there a formula or calculator that can tell me the ideal length of a 100mm column to be used in a reflux scenario? I was thinking around 1300mm. but i'm just stabing in the dark..

      I'm picking it up tomorrow and can hopefully get the guys too chop it too the desired length!,

      Also how long should the condensing pipe be? You can never go too big with this?

      Cheers

      Ian,

    • PhilipWilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hi Ian,

        Before you begin welding, I recommend spending some quality time with the "Reflux Still
        Design Theory" section of the excellent homedistiller.org site. There are calculators there
        which let you explore the relationships between column dimensions, packing type, reflux
        ratio, power, and purity. There's no simple answer for "ideal length" in isolation, you're
        trading off with other design and operating criteria. Certainly it's easy to get 95+% from a
        50mm x 1300mm column.

        I have no direct experience with 100mm columns, but others have reported that you may
        have trouble with scrubber-type packing at that size, and need to start thinking about
        alternate (less efficient) packing, plates or spreaders.

        With respect to your earlier post and design picture, you're right to wonder if the reflux is
        being returned too low in the column. Optimally, the reflux should be returned at the top
        of the packing.

        With all due respect, I would suggest building a 50mm column and still head first, and
        tweaking your design in that format.

        Cheers,

        Phil

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ian@...> wrote:

        > Gidday,
        >
        > Is there a formula or calculator that can tell me the ideal length of a 100mm column to
        be used in a reflux scenario? I was thinking around 1300mm. but i'm just stabing in the
        dark..

        > I'm picking it up tomorrow and can hopefully get the guys too chop it too the desired
        length!,

        > Also how long should the condensing pipe be? You can never go too big with this?
        >

        > Cheers
        >
        > Ian,

      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
          Wow, jumping to a 100mm column is really brave! I agree with Phil - go
          with a 50mm column. You REALLY have to know what you are doing to go
          with 100mm. It could be a pretty lonely space to be in as this is
          commercial rather than hobby size.

          A 50mm column can produce 95%+ right through the run so I don't think
          you would be disappointed.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ian@...> wrote:

          > Gidday,
          >
          > Is there a formula or calculator that can tell me the ideal length
          of a 100mm column to be used in a reflux scenario? I was thinking
          around 1300mm. but i'm just stabing in the dark..

          > I'm picking it up tomorrow and can hopefully get the guys too chop
          it too the desired length!,

          > Also how long should the condensing pipe be? You can never go too
          big with this?

          > Cheers
          >
          > Ian,

        • Ian
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
            aww.. Ok i get the idea.. Ill just put my flanges asisde for another day!
            Thanks again