RE: [new_distillers] Smirnoff ice

  • Brendan Keith
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
      1 can of frozen lemonade concentrate,
      As much vodka / grain alcohol as you want to consume, store bought or
      otherwise,
      Top up with soda water or Sprite.

      A comfy recliner in the shade, because you won't be moving much after
      sampling it.

      --
      Brendan Keith
      bkeith@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
        BTW, that recipe is for a pitcher full!

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
          Tyler I would be more likely just to make your vodka then find a mixer that
          you can match up. I thought something similar once and figured maybe the
          spritz range (I am in Oz) which are the clear mineral water flavoured
          carbonated drinks that are sweet tasting would do the job....

          Might look into that again now, thanks for the reminder! 8-)

          >From: "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
          >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [new_distillers] Smirnoff ice
          >Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:54:01 -0000
          >

          >I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
          >could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
          >
          >I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
          >lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
          >after the fermentation.
          >
          >anyone have any ideas?
          >
          >thanks,
          >-Tyler

        • BigRon BigRon
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
            Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
            it was a bit hard on the heart burn though

            8 large lemons
            10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
            2 lbs granulated sugar
            6-1/2 pts water
            1/4 tsp grape tannin
            1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
            1 tsp yeast nutrient
            Champagne wine yeast
            Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6 months before tasting.

            That is with real lemons
            here is one with concentrate
            I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid

            but it is good

            3 cans frozen juice concentrate
            1 tsp yeast nutrient
            ½ to 1 cup sugar
            3 quarts water
            Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne

            This is a hard one to get fermenting
            with all of the acid
            it is a real bear to get going
            so make a big starter and get it rolling
            that is for 1 gallon
            Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
            just about any flavor you want to give a whirl

            Ron

            tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

            I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
            could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.

            I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
            lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
            after the fermentation.

            anyone have any ideas?

            thanks,
            -Tyler

          • emailbenja
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

              > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
              > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
              >
              > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
              > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
              > after the fermentation.
              >
              > anyone have any ideas?
              >
              > thanks,
              > -Tyler

              Have you actually read the ingredients on the bottle? the majority of
              the alcohol comes from cheapo wine, with only a dash of Smirnoff vodka
              to satisfy the Smirnoff branding. So i'm guessing most of the flavour
              is in the other ingredients, not from the vodka. Your idea to make a
              low wine and flavour it with some sorty of juice/cordial is probably
              the simplest- i think alcotech make a liquer pack which essentially
              does this, using a clearing agent after fermentation.
              cheers
              benja
            • Allan DeGroot
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
                Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

                what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
                through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
                color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

                They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
                way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
                taxed.

                You's think it's be easier and cheaper to make it with neutral spirt,
                lemon juice and water, but due to the disparity in taxation...

                Making your own? is it so tough to add a liter of neutral spirit
                to 5gallons of Lemonaid?
                If you want it carbonated you basically need to be a homebrewer
                Who kegs and force carbonates their beer.

                AllanD

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                >
                > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                some
                > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                > after the fermentation.
                >
                > anyone have any ideas?
                >
                > thanks,
                > -Tyler

              • Allan DeGroot
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                  How about this one that's been popular at parties....

                  Start with a 5gallon corny keg
                  Add 3 32oz bottles of lemon juice, 1 liter of 100proof spirit
                  one 5lb bag of sugar, though this is best predissolved in 6quarts of
                  warm or even hot water and allowed to cool and sufficient water to
                  fill the keg.

                  Pressurize to 80psi and lay down in a 68quare coleman cooler and
                  bury it in ice.

                  Usually the drive to where it will be consumed will agitate it
                  sufficiently to dissolve the gas.

                  Substituting Lime juice and using tequila can be amusing

                  Using only TWO quarts of lemon juice but adding a half gallon of
                  grapefruit juice was met with rave reviews as well.

                  AllanD

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
                  > it was a bit hard on the heart burn though
                  >

                  > 8 large lemons
                  > 10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
                  > 2 lbs granulated sugar
                  > 6-1/2 pts water
                  > 1/4 tsp grape tannin
                  > 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
                  > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
                  > Champagne wine yeast
                  > Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons
                  into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape
                  juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to
                  cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic
                  enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity
                  drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if
                  required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack
                  when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking
                  water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6
                  months before tasting.

                  > That is with real lemons
                  > here is one with concentrate
                  > I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid
                  >
                  > but it is good
                  >

                  > 3 cans frozen juice concentrate
                  > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
                  > ½ to 1 cup sugar
                  > 3 quarts water
                  > Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne
                  >
                  > This is a hard one to get fermenting
                  > with all of the acid
                  > it is a real bear to get going
                  > so make a big starter and get it rolling
                  > that is for 1 gallon
                  > Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
                  > just about any flavor you want to give a whirl
                  >
                  > Ron
                  >

                  > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how
                  > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                  >
                  > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                  some
                  > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and
                  nutriants
                  > after the fermentation.
                  >
                  > anyone have any ideas?
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  > -Tyler

                • Brendan Keith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes them
                    with malt liquor.

                    In Canada, they're vodka based.

                    Per the original question: Some essence makers make a flavouring for turbo
                    wash, to produce a fruity wine cooler sort of thing.

                    Personally, I just put a can of frozen lemonade in a pitcher with say a
                    fifth of vodka and top up with soda water.

                    --
                    Brendan Keith
                    bkeith@...

                    Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
                    Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

                    what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
                    through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
                    color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

                    They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
                    way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
                    taxed.

                    AllanD

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                    > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                    > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                    >
                    > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                    some
                    > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                    > after the fermentation.
                    >
                    > anyone have any ideas?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > -Tyler

                  • Brad McMahon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                      On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:33 -0400, Brendan Keith wrote:
                      > Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes
                      > them
                      > with malt liquor.
                      >
                      > In Canada, they're vodka based.

                      In Australia, RTDs (Ready-To-Drink) are often white wine based.

                    • Allan DeGroot
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                        In the United States it's a matter of federal Tax law.

                        Though the product will be made at different alcohol content
                        to meet differeing state regulations if you actually find a bottle
                        that isn't "Flavored Malt Beverage" I'd like to see the empty bottle.

                        In Canada? I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see Smirnoff Ice actually
                        made with Smirnoff Vodka. Made that way it'd probably give you less
                        of a hangover as well.

                        AllanD

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>