RE: [new_distillers] Smirnoff ice

  • Brian Bashford
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
      I think you're right and, IIRC, the 95% is made (in the case of Smirnoff)
      from rice.

      Brian B.

      _____

      From: Paul McMillan

      I believe these alcopop type drinks are made by adding straight 95% to
      a sugary syrup, rather than fermenting something directly.

      Paul

    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
        1 can of frozen lemonade concentrate,
        As much vodka / grain alcohol as you want to consume, store bought or
        otherwise,
        Top up with soda water or Sprite.

        A comfy recliner in the shade, because you won't be moving much after
        sampling it.

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
          BTW, that recipe is for a pitcher full!

          --
          Brendan Keith
          bkeith@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
            Tyler I would be more likely just to make your vodka then find a mixer that
            you can match up. I thought something similar once and figured maybe the
            spritz range (I am in Oz) which are the clear mineral water flavoured
            carbonated drinks that are sweet tasting would do the job....

            Might look into that again now, thanks for the reminder! 8-)

            >From: "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
            >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [new_distillers] Smirnoff ice
            >Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:54:01 -0000
            >

            >I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
            >could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
            >
            >I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
            >lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
            >after the fermentation.
            >
            >anyone have any ideas?
            >
            >thanks,
            >-Tyler

          • BigRon BigRon
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
              Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
              it was a bit hard on the heart burn though

              8 large lemons
              10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
              2 lbs granulated sugar
              6-1/2 pts water
              1/4 tsp grape tannin
              1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
              1 tsp yeast nutrient
              Champagne wine yeast
              Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6 months before tasting.

              That is with real lemons
              here is one with concentrate
              I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid

              but it is good

              3 cans frozen juice concentrate
              1 tsp yeast nutrient
              ½ to 1 cup sugar
              3 quarts water
              Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne

              This is a hard one to get fermenting
              with all of the acid
              it is a real bear to get going
              so make a big starter and get it rolling
              that is for 1 gallon
              Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
              just about any flavor you want to give a whirl

              Ron

              tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

              I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
              could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.

              I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
              lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
              after the fermentation.

              anyone have any ideas?

              thanks,
              -Tyler

            • emailbenja
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                >
                > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
                > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                > after the fermentation.
                >
                > anyone have any ideas?
                >
                > thanks,
                > -Tyler

                Have you actually read the ingredients on the bottle? the majority of
                the alcohol comes from cheapo wine, with only a dash of Smirnoff vodka
                to satisfy the Smirnoff branding. So i'm guessing most of the flavour
                is in the other ingredients, not from the vodka. Your idea to make a
                low wine and flavour it with some sorty of juice/cordial is probably
                the simplest- i think alcotech make a liquer pack which essentially
                does this, using a clearing agent after fermentation.
                cheers
                benja
              • Allan DeGroot
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
                  Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

                  what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
                  through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
                  color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

                  They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
                  way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
                  taxed.

                  You's think it's be easier and cheaper to make it with neutral spirt,
                  lemon juice and water, but due to the disparity in taxation...

                  Making your own? is it so tough to add a liter of neutral spirit
                  to 5gallons of Lemonaid?
                  If you want it carbonated you basically need to be a homebrewer
                  Who kegs and force carbonates their beer.

                  AllanD

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                  > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                  > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                  >
                  > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                  some
                  > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                  > after the fermentation.
                  >
                  > anyone have any ideas?
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  > -Tyler

                • Allan DeGroot
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                    How about this one that's been popular at parties....

                    Start with a 5gallon corny keg
                    Add 3 32oz bottles of lemon juice, 1 liter of 100proof spirit
                    one 5lb bag of sugar, though this is best predissolved in 6quarts of
                    warm or even hot water and allowed to cool and sufficient water to
                    fill the keg.

                    Pressurize to 80psi and lay down in a 68quare coleman cooler and
                    bury it in ice.

                    Usually the drive to where it will be consumed will agitate it
                    sufficiently to dissolve the gas.

                    Substituting Lime juice and using tequila can be amusing

                    Using only TWO quarts of lemon juice but adding a half gallon of
                    grapefruit juice was met with rave reviews as well.

                    AllanD

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
                    > it was a bit hard on the heart burn though
                    >

                    > 8 large lemons
                    > 10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
                    > 2 lbs granulated sugar
                    > 6-1/2 pts water
                    > 1/4 tsp grape tannin
                    > 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
                    > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
                    > Champagne wine yeast
                    > Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons
                    into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape
                    juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to
                    cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic
                    enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity
                    drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if
                    required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack
                    when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking
                    water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6
                    months before tasting.

                    > That is with real lemons
                    > here is one with concentrate
                    > I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid
                    >
                    > but it is good
                    >

                    > 3 cans frozen juice concentrate
                    > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
                    > ½ to 1 cup sugar
                    > 3 quarts water
                    > Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne
                    >
                    > This is a hard one to get fermenting
                    > with all of the acid
                    > it is a real bear to get going
                    > so make a big starter and get it rolling
                    > that is for 1 gallon
                    > Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
                    > just about any flavor you want to give a whirl
                    >
                    > Ron
                    >

                    > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how
                    > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                    >
                    > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                    some
                    > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and
                    nutriants
                    > after the fermentation.
                    >
                    > anyone have any ideas?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > -Tyler

                  • Brendan Keith
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes them
                      with malt liquor.

                      In Canada, they're vodka based.

                      Per the original question: Some essence makers make a flavouring for turbo
                      wash, to produce a fruity wine cooler sort of thing.

                      Personally, I just put a can of frozen lemonade in a pitcher with say a
                      fifth of vodka and top up with soda water.

                      --
                      Brendan Keith
                      bkeith@...

                      Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
                      Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

                      what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
                      through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
                      color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

                      They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
                      way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
                      taxed.

                      AllanD

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                      > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                      > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                      >
                      > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                      some
                      > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                      > after the fermentation.
                      >
                      > anyone have any ideas?
                      >
                      > thanks,
                      > -Tyler

                    • Brad McMahon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                        On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:33 -0400, Brendan Keith wrote:
                        > Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes
                        > them
                        > with malt liquor.
                        >
                        > In Canada, they're vodka based.

                        In Australia, RTDs (Ready-To-Drink) are often white wine based.

                      • Allan DeGroot
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                          In the United States it's a matter of federal Tax law.

                          Though the product will be made at different alcohol content
                          to meet differeing state regulations if you actually find a bottle
                          that isn't "Flavored Malt Beverage" I'd like to see the empty bottle.

                          In Canada? I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see Smirnoff Ice actually
                          made with Smirnoff Vodka. Made that way it'd probably give you less
                          of a hangover as well.

                          AllanD

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>