Re: [new_distillers] Smirnoff ice

  • Paul McMillan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2 3:57 PM
      I believe these alcopop type drinks are made by adding straight 95% to
      a sugary syrup, rather than fermenting something directly.

      Paul

      On 7/2/06, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

      > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
      > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
      >
      > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
      > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
      > after the fermentation.
      >
      > anyone have any ideas?
      >
      > thanks,
      > -Tyler

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Brian Bashford
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2 4:13 PM
        I think you're right and, IIRC, the 95% is made (in the case of Smirnoff)
        from rice.

        Brian B.

        _____

        From: Paul McMillan

        I believe these alcopop type drinks are made by adding straight 95% to
        a sugary syrup, rather than fermenting something directly.

        Paul

      • Brendan Keith
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2 4:39 PM
          1 can of frozen lemonade concentrate,
          As much vodka / grain alcohol as you want to consume, store bought or
          otherwise,
          Top up with soda water or Sprite.

          A comfy recliner in the shade, because you won't be moving much after
          sampling it.

          --
          Brendan Keith
          bkeith@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2 4:42 PM
            BTW, that recipe is for a pitcher full!

            --
            Brendan Keith
            bkeith@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2 9:43 PM
              Tyler I would be more likely just to make your vodka then find a mixer that
              you can match up. I thought something similar once and figured maybe the
              spritz range (I am in Oz) which are the clear mineral water flavoured
              carbonated drinks that are sweet tasting would do the job....

              Might look into that again now, thanks for the reminder! 8-)

              >From: "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
              >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [new_distillers] Smirnoff ice
              >Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:54:01 -0000
              >

              >I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
              >could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
              >
              >I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
              >lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
              >after the fermentation.
              >
              >anyone have any ideas?
              >
              >thanks,
              >-Tyler

            • BigRon BigRon
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3 11:07 AM
                Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
                it was a bit hard on the heart burn though

                8 large lemons
                10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
                2 lbs granulated sugar
                6-1/2 pts water
                1/4 tsp grape tannin
                1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
                1 tsp yeast nutrient
                Champagne wine yeast
                Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6 months before tasting.

                That is with real lemons
                here is one with concentrate
                I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid

                but it is good

                3 cans frozen juice concentrate
                1 tsp yeast nutrient
                ½ to 1 cup sugar
                3 quarts water
                Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne

                This is a hard one to get fermenting
                with all of the acid
                it is a real bear to get going
                so make a big starter and get it rolling
                that is for 1 gallon
                Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
                just about any flavor you want to give a whirl

                Ron

                tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.

                I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
                lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                after the fermentation.

                anyone have any ideas?

                thanks,
                -Tyler

              • emailbenja
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3 8:52 PM
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                  > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                  > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                  >
                  > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
                  > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                  > after the fermentation.
                  >
                  > anyone have any ideas?
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  > -Tyler

                  Have you actually read the ingredients on the bottle? the majority of
                  the alcohol comes from cheapo wine, with only a dash of Smirnoff vodka
                  to satisfy the Smirnoff branding. So i'm guessing most of the flavour
                  is in the other ingredients, not from the vodka. Your idea to make a
                  low wine and flavour it with some sorty of juice/cordial is probably
                  the simplest- i think alcotech make a liquer pack which essentially
                  does this, using a clearing agent after fermentation.
                  cheers
                  benja
                • Allan DeGroot
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
                    Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

                    what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
                    through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
                    color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

                    They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
                    way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
                    taxed.

                    You's think it's be easier and cheaper to make it with neutral spirt,
                    lemon juice and water, but due to the disparity in taxation...

                    Making your own? is it so tough to add a liter of neutral spirit
                    to 5gallons of Lemonaid?
                    If you want it carbonated you basically need to be a homebrewer
                    Who kegs and force carbonates their beer.

                    AllanD

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                    > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                    > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                    >
                    > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                    some
                    > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                    > after the fermentation.
                    >
                    > anyone have any ideas?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > -Tyler

                  • Allan DeGroot
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                      How about this one that's been popular at parties....

                      Start with a 5gallon corny keg
                      Add 3 32oz bottles of lemon juice, 1 liter of 100proof spirit
                      one 5lb bag of sugar, though this is best predissolved in 6quarts of
                      warm or even hot water and allowed to cool and sufficient water to
                      fill the keg.

                      Pressurize to 80psi and lay down in a 68quare coleman cooler and
                      bury it in ice.

                      Usually the drive to where it will be consumed will agitate it
                      sufficiently to dissolve the gas.

                      Substituting Lime juice and using tequila can be amusing

                      Using only TWO quarts of lemon juice but adding a half gallon of
                      grapefruit juice was met with rave reviews as well.

                      AllanD

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
                      > it was a bit hard on the heart burn though
                      >

                      > 8 large lemons
                      > 10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
                      > 2 lbs granulated sugar
                      > 6-1/2 pts water
                      > 1/4 tsp grape tannin
                      > 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
                      > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
                      > Champagne wine yeast
                      > Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons
                      into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape
                      juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to
                      cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic
                      enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity
                      drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if
                      required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack
                      when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking
                      water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6
                      months before tasting.

                      > That is with real lemons
                      > here is one with concentrate
                      > I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid
                      >
                      > but it is good
                      >

                      > 3 cans frozen juice concentrate
                      > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
                      > ½ to 1 cup sugar
                      > 3 quarts water
                      > Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne
                      >
                      > This is a hard one to get fermenting
                      > with all of the acid
                      > it is a real bear to get going
                      > so make a big starter and get it rolling
                      > that is for 1 gallon
                      > Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
                      > just about any flavor you want to give a whirl
                      >
                      > Ron
                      >

                      > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how
                      > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                      >
                      > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                      some
                      > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and
                      nutriants
                      > after the fermentation.
                      >
                      > anyone have any ideas?
                      >
                      > thanks,
                      > -Tyler

                    • Brendan Keith
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes them
                        with malt liquor.

                        In Canada, they're vodka based.

                        Per the original question: Some essence makers make a flavouring for turbo
                        wash, to produce a fruity wine cooler sort of thing.

                        Personally, I just put a can of frozen lemonade in a pitcher with say a
                        fifth of vodka and top up with soda water.

                        --
                        Brendan Keith
                        bkeith@...

                        Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
                        Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

                        what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
                        through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
                        color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

                        They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
                        way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
                        taxed.

                        AllanD

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                        > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                        > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                        >
                        > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                        some
                        > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                        > after the fermentation.
                        >
                        > anyone have any ideas?
                        >
                        > thanks,
                        > -Tyler

                      • Brad McMahon
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                          On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:33 -0400, Brendan Keith wrote:
                          > Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes
                          > them
                          > with malt liquor.
                          >
                          > In Canada, they're vodka based.

                          In Australia, RTDs (Ready-To-Drink) are often white wine based.

                        • Allan DeGroot
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                            In the United States it's a matter of federal Tax law.

                            Though the product will be made at different alcohol content
                            to meet differeing state regulations if you actually find a bottle
                            that isn't "Flavored Malt Beverage" I'd like to see the empty bottle.

                            In Canada? I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see Smirnoff Ice actually
                            made with Smirnoff Vodka. Made that way it'd probably give you less
                            of a hangover as well.

                            AllanD

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>