Smirnoff ice

  • tyler_97355
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
      I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
      could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.

      I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
      lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
      after the fermentation.

      anyone have any ideas?

      thanks,
      -Tyler
    • Paul McMillan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
        I believe these alcopop type drinks are made by adding straight 95% to
        a sugary syrup, rather than fermenting something directly.

        Paul

        On 7/2/06, tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

        > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
        > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
        >
        > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
        > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
        > after the fermentation.
        >
        > anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > thanks,
        > -Tyler

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brian Bashford
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
          I think you're right and, IIRC, the 95% is made (in the case of Smirnoff)
          from rice.

          Brian B.

          _____

          From: Paul McMillan

          I believe these alcopop type drinks are made by adding straight 95% to
          a sugary syrup, rather than fermenting something directly.

          Paul

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
            1 can of frozen lemonade concentrate,
            As much vodka / grain alcohol as you want to consume, store bought or
            otherwise,
            Top up with soda water or Sprite.

            A comfy recliner in the shade, because you won't be moving much after
            sampling it.

            --
            Brendan Keith
            bkeith@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
              BTW, that recipe is for a pitcher full!

              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
                Tyler I would be more likely just to make your vodka then find a mixer that
                you can match up. I thought something similar once and figured maybe the
                spritz range (I am in Oz) which are the clear mineral water flavoured
                carbonated drinks that are sweet tasting would do the job....

                Might look into that again now, thanks for the reminder! 8-)

                >From: "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...>
                >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [new_distillers] Smirnoff ice
                >Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:54:01 -0000
                >

                >I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                >could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                >
                >I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
                >lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                >after the fermentation.
                >
                >anyone have any ideas?
                >
                >thanks,
                >-Tyler

              • BigRon BigRon
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                  Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
                  it was a bit hard on the heart burn though

                  8 large lemons
                  10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
                  2 lbs granulated sugar
                  6-1/2 pts water
                  1/4 tsp grape tannin
                  1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
                  1 tsp yeast nutrient
                  Champagne wine yeast
                  Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6 months before tasting.

                  That is with real lemons
                  here is one with concentrate
                  I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid

                  but it is good

                  3 cans frozen juice concentrate
                  1 tsp yeast nutrient
                  ½ to 1 cup sugar
                  3 quarts water
                  Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne

                  This is a hard one to get fermenting
                  with all of the acid
                  it is a real bear to get going
                  so make a big starter and get it rolling
                  that is for 1 gallon
                  Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
                  just about any flavor you want to give a whirl

                  Ron

                  tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                  I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                  could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.

                  I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
                  lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                  after the fermentation.

                  anyone have any ideas?

                  thanks,
                  -Tyler

                • emailbenja
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                    > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                    > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                    >
                    > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding some
                    > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                    > after the fermentation.
                    >
                    > anyone have any ideas?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > -Tyler

                    Have you actually read the ingredients on the bottle? the majority of
                    the alcohol comes from cheapo wine, with only a dash of Smirnoff vodka
                    to satisfy the Smirnoff branding. So i'm guessing most of the flavour
                    is in the other ingredients, not from the vodka. Your idea to make a
                    low wine and flavour it with some sorty of juice/cordial is probably
                    the simplest- i think alcotech make a liquer pack which essentially
                    does this, using a clearing agent after fermentation.
                    cheers
                    benja
                  • Allan DeGroot
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
                      Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

                      what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
                      through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
                      color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

                      They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
                      way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
                      taxed.

                      You's think it's be easier and cheaper to make it with neutral spirt,
                      lemon juice and water, but due to the disparity in taxation...

                      Making your own? is it so tough to add a liter of neutral spirit
                      to 5gallons of Lemonaid?
                      If you want it carbonated you basically need to be a homebrewer
                      Who kegs and force carbonates their beer.

                      AllanD

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                      > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                      > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                      >
                      > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                      some
                      > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                      > after the fermentation.
                      >
                      > anyone have any ideas?
                      >
                      > thanks,
                      > -Tyler

                    • Allan DeGroot
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                        How about this one that's been popular at parties....

                        Start with a 5gallon corny keg
                        Add 3 32oz bottles of lemon juice, 1 liter of 100proof spirit
                        one 5lb bag of sugar, though this is best predissolved in 6quarts of
                        warm or even hot water and allowed to cool and sufficient water to
                        fill the keg.

                        Pressurize to 80psi and lay down in a 68quare coleman cooler and
                        bury it in ice.

                        Usually the drive to where it will be consumed will agitate it
                        sufficiently to dissolve the gas.

                        Substituting Lime juice and using tequila can be amusing

                        Using only TWO quarts of lemon juice but adding a half gallon of
                        grapefruit juice was met with rave reviews as well.

                        AllanD

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Here is a lemonade recipe that i used I liked it
                        > it was a bit hard on the heart burn though
                        >

                        > 8 large lemons
                        > 10 oz can of white grape juice concentrate
                        > 2 lbs granulated sugar
                        > 6-1/2 pts water
                        > 1/4 tsp grape tannin
                        > 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
                        > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
                        > Champagne wine yeast
                        > Boil water and dissolve sugar in it. Grate the zest from 3 lemons
                        into primary. Juice all lemons and add juice to primary. Add grape
                        juice to primary and add sugar water. Cover primary and set aside to
                        cool to room temperature. Add tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic
                        enzyme. After 12 hours, add yeast. Ferment until specific gravity
                        drops to 1.020 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up if
                        required and fit airlock. In 4-6 weeks, check specific gravity. Rack
                        when S.G. is 1.000. Top up and refit airlock. Age 6 months, checking
                        water in airlock periodically. Rack into bottles and age additional 6
                        months before tasting.

                        > That is with real lemons
                        > here is one with concentrate
                        > I have made it as well and it is powerful in taste and acid
                        >
                        > but it is good
                        >

                        > 3 cans frozen juice concentrate
                        > 1 tsp yeast nutrient
                        > ½ to 1 cup sugar
                        > 3 quarts water
                        > Yeast: Lalvin 1118 (or other Champagne
                        >
                        > This is a hard one to get fermenting
                        > with all of the acid
                        > it is a real bear to get going
                        > so make a big starter and get it rolling
                        > that is for 1 gallon
                        > Also try lime aide, raspberry aide
                        > just about any flavor you want to give a whirl
                        >
                        > Ron
                        >

                        > tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how
                        > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                        >
                        > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                        some
                        > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and
                        nutriants
                        > after the fermentation.
                        >
                        > anyone have any ideas?
                        >
                        > thanks,
                        > -Tyler

                      • Brendan Keith
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                          Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes them
                          with malt liquor.

                          In Canada, they're vodka based.

                          Per the original question: Some essence makers make a flavouring for turbo
                          wash, to produce a fruity wine cooler sort of thing.

                          Personally, I just put a can of frozen lemonade in a pitcher with say a
                          fifth of vodka and top up with soda water.

                          --
                          Brendan Keith
                          bkeith@...

                          Thw actual products of "Mike's Hard Lemonaid", "Smirnoff Ice" "Bicardi
                          Breezers", "Zima" etc... are all malt beverages.

                          what they are is essentially unhopped beer fermented and then passed
                          through a stack of actvated carbon filters to remove all traces of
                          color and flavor before the desired flavor and sweetening are added.

                          They are ALL made this way because of the differences in the
                          way fermented alcoholic beverages and distilled beverages are
                          taxed.

                          AllanD

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tyler_97355" <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                          > I know this is more of a brewing question, but i was wondering how i
                          > could make something like smirnoff ice, or mikes hard lemonade.
                          >
                          > I was thinking of just making a low alcohol sugar wash and adding
                          some
                          > lemon juice or koolaid, then just filter out the yeast and nutriants
                          > after the fermentation.
                          >
                          > anyone have any ideas?
                          >
                          > thanks,
                          > -Tyler

                        • Brad McMahon
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                            On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:33 -0400, Brendan Keith wrote:
                            > Depends where you are buying them. I'm not sure that every state makes
                            > them
                            > with malt liquor.
                            >
                            > In Canada, they're vodka based.

                            In Australia, RTDs (Ready-To-Drink) are often white wine based.

                          • Allan DeGroot
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                              In the United States it's a matter of federal Tax law.

                              Though the product will be made at different alcohol content
                              to meet differeing state regulations if you actually find a bottle
                              that isn't "Flavored Malt Beverage" I'd like to see the empty bottle.

                              In Canada? I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see Smirnoff Ice actually
                              made with Smirnoff Vodka. Made that way it'd probably give you less
                              of a hangover as well.

                              AllanD

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@...>