Johan's plastic spiral still

  • lbsx
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2006
      I am looking to build an inexpensive apparatus to get me started in the
      distilling hobby. In the distillers group a few years ago there was
      some discussion about a improved plastic spiral still posted by member
      Johan. I have tried searching but can't find the plans for this
      improved still , nor do I know if there have been modifications to the
      design since then. I would appreciate it if anyone has the PDF created
      by Johan for this still to please post. If you have any other
      suggestions for a simple, inexpensive design I would appreciate it
      greatly.
    • Tony Turner
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2006
        Try this link:

        http://www.bryggforum.com/wiki/wiki/upload/The_Spiral_still.pdf

        lbsx <lbsx@...> wrote: I am looking to build an inexpensive apparatus to get me started in the
        distilling hobby. In the distillers group a few years ago there was
        some discussion about a improved plastic spiral still posted by member
        Johan. I have tried searching but can't find the plans for this
        improved still , nor do I know if there have been modifications to the
        design since then. I would appreciate it if anyone has the PDF created
        by Johan for this still to please post. If you have any other
        suggestions for a simple, inexpensive design I would appreciate it
        greatly.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2006
          The document is available at Harry's alcohol library. I recommend you
          build it with column and if possible use solidstate relay + computer to
          adjust power for best accuracy. The software is available at files
          section of distillers group.

          - Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lbsx" <lbsx@...> wrote:

          > I am looking to build an inexpensive apparatus to get me started in
          the
          > distilling hobby. In the distillers group a few years ago there was
          > some discussion about a improved plastic spiral still posted by
          member
          > Johan. I have tried searching but can't find the plans for this
          > improved still , nor do I know if there have been modifications to
          the
          > design since then. I would appreciate it if anyone has the PDF
          created
          > by Johan for this still to please post. If you have any other
          > suggestions for a simple, inexpensive design I would appreciate it
          > greatly.

        • Ian
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2006
            I'm all excited..

            There is a computer program you can connect too some hardware that will control power?

            Ive dug all threw the files section with out any luck? can someone point me a little closer!?

            Thanks!!

            Ian,

            The document is available at Harry's alcohol library. I recommend you
            build it with column and if possible use solidstate relay + computer to
            adjust power for best accuracy. The software is available at files
            section of distillers group.

            - Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lbsx" <lbsx@...> wrote:

            > I am looking to build an inexpensive apparatus to get me started in
            the
            > distilling hobby. In the distillers group a few years ago there was
            > some discussion about a improved plastic spiral still posted by
            member
            > Johan. I have tried searching but can't find the plans for this
            > improved still , nor do I know if there have been modifications to
            the
            > design since then. I would appreciate it if anyone has the PDF
            created
            > by Johan for this still to please post. If you have any other
            > suggestions for a simple, inexpensive design I would appreciate it
            > greatly.

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
              You can find details in my book which is also available at Harry's
              site http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%
              20Listings

              An improved control software can be found at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/files/Random9988/

              Cheers, Riku

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ian@...> wrote:

              > I'm all excited..
              >
              > There is a computer program you can connect too some hardware that
              will control power?

              > Ive dug all threw the files section with out any luck? can someone
              point me a little closer!?

              > Thanks!!
              >
              > Ian,

              7/3/2006

            • Gord Day
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                can I use an aluminum beer keg for a boiler instaed of stainless.Just can,t
                find any stainless here..thanx
                Gord
              • suitcase1499
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Gord Day" <temagami@...> wrote:

                  > can I use an aluminum beer keg for a boiler instaed of stainless.Just
                  can,t
                  > find any stainless here..thanx
                  > Gord

                  I used one for along time it was a turkey fryer pot made of aluminum.
                  You have to clean and dry it real good when your done. Some folks say
                  don't use it at all but mine did fine till I could get a SS Boiler.

                  Suitcase
                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                    Welcome back suit. Did Suitcase jr leave any booze for you? blanikdog

                    > can I use an aluminum beer keg for a boiler instaed of
                    stainless.Just
                    can,t
                    > find any stainless here..thanx
                    > Gord

                    I used one for along time it was a turkey fryer pot made of aluminum.
                    You have to clean and dry it real good when your done. Some folks say
                    don't use it at all but mine did fine till I could get a SS Boiler.

                    Suitcase

                    NORMALITY IS NOTHING TO ASPIRE TOWARDS!!!

                    My SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                    http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2006
                      In a message dated 7/4/2006 8:01:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      blanik@... writes:

                      Welcome back suit. Did Suitcase jr leave any booze for you? blanikdog

                      He left me a little and about 10 gallons of wine thats working off right
                      now. I hope it's good. LOL

                      Suitcase

                    • johnwisbey@libero.it
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 5, 2006
                        TRy to find an olive oil container, about 50 lts. they are in stainless>

                        > can I use an aluminum beer keg for a boiler instaed of stainless.Just can,t
                        > find any stainless here..thanx
                        > Gord

                        John Wisbey
                        Tel: ( 0039) 0173529505
                        Fax: (0039) 0173 529942
                        Mobile: (0039) 338 2422895
                        e-mail: johnwisbey@...

                        www.piedmontproperty.com www.piedmont-holidays.com www.nicltd.co.uk
                      • Dean Thomas
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 5, 2006
                          I think you'll find that all beer kegs are Stainless or at least they
                          are in Australia. If it Ain't Stainless it must be pretty old.

                          Dean

                          Gord Day wrote:

                          > can I use an aluminum beer keg for a boiler instaed of stainless.Just
                          > can,t
                          > find any stainless here..thanx
                          > Gord

                        • Larry
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 5, 2006
                            At 07:43 AM 07/05/2006, you wrote:

                            >I think you'll find that all beer kegs are Stainless or at least they
                            >are in Australia. If it Ain't Stainless it must be pretty old.

                            Same thing in the USA.

                            The only aluminum kegs I've seen have seemed to be pretty old ones, though
                            they ARE around. Have a look at www.ebay.com.

                            Aluminum kegs come up very rarely, though I found two of them among about
                            40 that I saw during the two months I spent keeping a close eye on it.