Re: [new_distillers] New to all this, help plz.

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hi Godz,

      There are always stills for sale on ebay and at your local home brew
      shop but they may be asking more than you wish to pay.
      Before you build a still you need to decide what type of alcohol you
      wish to make if you want to make a flavoured product the traditional way
      i.e. whiskey then you will need a pot still. if you just want to make
      neutral flavoured spirit i.e. something like a very smooth vodka you
      want a reflux still, with the later design you can add essences to make
      products that closely resemble your favourite drop. And there is nothing
      stopping you having one of each design that you can swap onto your
      boiler. You need to decide how much product you wish to make and how
      long you wish to sit there while running it off, that will determine the
      size of your boiler. I have a 50 litre boiler (a keg) that I half fill
      with my fermented wash it takes approximately 10-12 hours to run it
      through my reflux head but I get around 5-7 litres every time.

      My still is constructed of mostly recycled bits and pieces with a few
      adapted parts thrown in and I found scrap metal
      yards an excellent source of pre loved goodies, My local one took a list
      of all the parts I wanted and would ring me if something suitable came
      in. The trick is to think laterally when choosing parts in theory you
      should be able to build a still for next to nothing if you are patient
      and can wait till the right parts become available at the right price.

      Read http://homedistiller.org from top to bottom it goes through all of
      the theory of the main still designs it has Tips and recipes and most
      find it invaluable.

      Good luck

      Dean.