Quick question! re "polishing" booze

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
      Hi, Ive just got a quick question,

      Say ive had a batch of "stinky booze" Where its gone threw too quick/tails etc. (still sprits super reflux)
      Will any amount of sitting it on carbon etc clean it too a not so stinky state? or should I just whack it threw the still again?

      Its been sitting on carbon for the last 3 weeks + filtered threw a "z" type filter..

      I don't mind wasting the carbon, But I don't want too waste 25l @ 40% and the essences too suit!!

      Thanks again!!!

      Ian,

    • duds2u
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
        If it's still "stinky" after being through a Z filter I don't think
        it's going to get any better. Ireckon you should put it back through
        the still and make your cuts a lot tighter.
        Cheers
        Mal
      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
          I agree entirely. Why not add ca 4 tbsp of bicarb while your at it (at
          the begin of the distillation is entirely adequate: no need to let it
          sit on it.).

          cheers
          rob.

          --- duds2u <taylormc@...> wrote:

          > If it's still "stinky" after being through a Z filter I don't think
          > it's going to get any better. Ireckon you should put it back through
          > the still and make your cuts a lot tighter.
          > Cheers
          > Mal

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tony Turner
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
            Ian,
            I've had this happen a few times because I was dumb and didn't watch what I was doing (I didn't know any better back then). The only way I could get it to clear up was re-distill it. I cut it 50/50 with distilled water and ran my still s-l-o-w and collected in 200ml jars. I to this day still collect in 200ml jars and once finished collecting I smell and taste to seperate the heads, hearts and tails. If I run a little too fast or collect to long I only ruin 200ml instead of the entire batch (it gives me time to adjust). I have been know to turn the heat down and pour the smelly stuff back down the column, bring the temp up and let it reflux for 30 minutes and then start my take-off at a slower rate.

            When I first started I ran everything too fast so I always had a smell. I was making sugar wash and everything smelled of either cardboard or bananas. After rerunning several batches I've learned to slow down. My spirit is so good now that I've actually gone back and redistilled some of my earlier aged stuff because I knew I could do it better now. It hurts to go back and pour bottles of 40% aged stock back in the still and cut it 50/50 with water ---- but it was WELL worth it.

            just my opinion,
            Tony T

            Ian <ian@...> wrote: Hi, Ive just got a quick question,

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
              For real!!.. I think im pumping it out WAY too fast.. but I don't know how too slow it down!!.. Its more like a dribble then a drip :S.. But I cant turn water flow up any harder!!.. (or slow the element.. as its an 'always on' type (still sprits )) ..

              Is there an easier way too find the different stages? I've been collecting into a 5l demi. Tossing out the first 50ml then saving till the temp reaches 85ish degrees!!..

              Bycarb?? do this too every lot? or just the product you still twice?

              Thanks again!!!

              :)

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
                ONLY EVER USE BICARB AFTER DISTLLING ONCE!

                Sorry about the shouting, but it can't be stressed enough.
                If you put bicarb in your wash you get blue spirit.
                when you put it in during a second distillation it improves the cut
                separation no end. not recommended for flavoured spirits.
                As always, read homedistllier.org.

                cheers
                rob.

                Cheers,
                Rob.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Ian
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
                  flavored sprits? as in making corn whisky etc?

                  Or flavored as in cheating and buying little bottoms of dark rum happiness?

                  Ill put it on my list tonight :) ive gotta re-still all the rubbish ive been taking out too fast!!!

                  :) I shall scope the website. Thanks.

                  --- Ian <ian@...> wrote:

                  > For real!!.. I think im pumping it out WAY too fast.. but I don't
                  > know how too slow it down!!.. Its more like a dribble then a drip
                  > :S.. But I cant turn water flow up any harder!!.. (or slow the
                  > element.. as its an 'always on' type (still sprits )) ..
                  >
                  > Is there an easier way too find the different stages? I've been
                  > collecting into a 5l demi. Tossing out the first 50ml then saving
                  > till the temp reaches 85ish degrees!!..
                  >
                  > Bycarb?? do this too every lot? or just the product you still
                  > twice?
                  >
                  > Thanks again!!!
                  >
                  > :)

                  Cheers,