Re: how to dilute whiskey

  • emailbenja
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27 9:55 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dchief13" <drennancd@...> wrote:

      > Does anybody know if Jim Beam/Jack Daniels etc put water in their
      > product to get it down to a drinkable level or does the aging process
      > in the barrel evaporate some of the alcohol. I get a product roughly
      > 90% and would like to get it down to 40-45%. I have seen a show about
      > the distilleries and they dont mention anything about diluting their
      > product after distillation. Also how long should I make my run?
      > Should I run it up to about 90 degrees Celcius? Any advice would be
      > appreciated. DD

      Do you really think a distillery is going to tell you they put in
      cheap old water to their expensive product? If you are wanting to oak
      your product, dilute to 55%, preferably with filtered water, then oak.
      I wrote an article on oaking some time ago- have a look in the files
      section.
      At for your run, it is a matter of personal taste how high you let the
      temp go- some like more tails (ie flavours) in their product, and some
      dont. The best thing to do is run the later distillate (after the
      hearts run) into smaller containers, and select the ones you think
      smell/taste good enough for oaking. Length of run is determined by how
      your still is set up- a wash at 20% should collect about 3L of high
      proof distillate.
      Hope this helps
      benja