Help needed mounting PDA-1

  • niboraus
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
      hi,

      i have just received a PDA-1 and cannot find how to mount it on my
      boiler. It comes with a 3/4" NPT female fitting.

      On this side of the world NPT is not used much. As a result I cannot
      find a source of NPT fittings suitable.

      I figured on using a 3/4" NPT to 3/4" BSP HEX nipple held in place
      with 2 locknuts.

      BSP is the standard here in Australia.

      Does anyone know where i can find such a fitting?

      regards

      niboraus
    • Paul McMillan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
        I would look at mcmaster. They have everything...

        http://www.mcmaster.com/

        Paul

        On 6/15/06, niboraus <niboraus@...> wrote:

        > hi,
        >
        > i have just received a PDA-1 and cannot find how to mount it on my
        > boiler. It comes with a 3/4" NPT female fitting.
        >
        > On this side of the world NPT is not used much. As a result I cannot
        > find a source of NPT fittings suitable.
        >
        > I figured on using a 3/4" NPT to 3/4" BSP HEX nipple held in place
        > with 2 locknuts.
        >
        > BSP is the standard here in Australia.
        >
        > Does anyone know where i can find such a fitting?
        >
        > regards
        >
        > niboraus

      • William Hutchins
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
          Have you taken it down to the hardware store to see if you can find anything that fits? BSP is
          suprisingly close to NPT and you may be able to force a usable fit, or run a tap or die over/in
          it to make if fit.

          Seems odd, Amphora being in NZ. that they would use a connection not available in NZ-Oz.
          Have you checked with them to see what they can suggest?

          McMaster Carr, BTW, has NPT - BSP adaptors, but they are expensive ( $20-40 in 1") and only
          in steel. Probably would be cheaper to have something made/modified there.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "niboraus" <niboraus@...> wrote:

          > hi,
          >
          > i have just received a PDA-1 and cannot find how to mount it on my
          > boiler. It comes with a 3/4" NPT female fitting.
        • tim smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
            Hi
            I would suggest that you un solder the ntp fitting,and
            add your bsp fitting to the unit
            later tim

            --- niboraus <niboraus@...> wrote:

            > hi,
            >
            > i have just received a PDA-1 and cannot find how to
            > mount it on my
            > boiler. It comes with a 3/4" NPT female fitting.
            >
            > On this side of the world NPT is not used much. As a
            > result I cannot
            > find a source of NPT fittings suitable.
            >
            > I figured on using a 3/4" NPT to 3/4" BSP HEX nipple
            > held in place
            > with 2 locknuts.
            >
            > BSP is the standard here in Australia.
            >
            > Does anyone know where i can find such a fitting?
            >

            > regards
            >
            > niboraus

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • niboraus
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
              hi,

              yes i have taken it down to the hardware store, the gas store and the
              hydraulic store. BSP is the standard in Australia, the only time NSP
              is available is to fit imported USA equipment, and the selection is
              limited in adapters.

              If i try to fit a BSP brass connecter into the NSP it just catches one
              turn and then sticks, the thread on both or either would be ruined.

              A number of sites explaining the different types of thread say that it
              just won't fit.

              Yes i contacted Amphora and have just received an email (apparently
              they have to sleep in NZ, John Howard passed legislation last year in
              Aust and were no longer allowed to, or anything else for that matter!)

              As it stands Amphora will see if a fitting is available in NZ or see
              if one can be made up - and yes I am surprised that the PDA-1 cannot
              be used with off the shelf fittings given the co is NZ.

              regards

              niboraus

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "William Hutchins"
              <whutchins998@...> wrote:

              > Have you taken it down to the hardware store to see if you can find
              anything that fits? BSP is
              > suprisingly close to NPT and you may be able to force a usable fit,
              or run a tap or die over/in
              > it to make if fit.
              >
              > Seems odd, Amphora being in NZ. that they would use a connection not
              available in NZ-Oz.
              > Have you checked with them to see what they can suggest?
              >
              > McMaster Carr, BTW, has NPT - BSP adaptors, but they are expensive (
              $20-40 in 1") and only
              > in steel. Probably would be cheaper to have something made/modified
              there.

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "niboraus" <niboraus@> wrote:
              > >
              > > hi,
              > >
              > > i have just received a PDA-1 and cannot find how to mount it on my
              > > boiler. It comes with a 3/4" NPT female fitting.

            • Tony Smith
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 16, 2006
                I am not familiar with the products that you are
                talking about here but, the last time I had a problem
                like this, I took the piece to a machine shop and had
                the machinist make me up an adapter which fit
                perfectly and at the time it really wasn't very
                expensive at all.

                Just a thought,

                Good Luck!

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 16, 2006
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tony Smith <tony9812001@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I am not familiar with the products that you are
                  > talking about here but, the last time I had a problem
                  > like this, I took the piece to a machine shop and had
                  > the machinist make me up an adapter which fit
                  > perfectly and at the time it really wasn't very
                  > expensive at all.
                  >
                  > Just a thought,
                  >
                  > Good Luck!

                  Aside from that, what's wrong with silver soldering or brazing a
                  standard BSP fitting large enough to go over the existing fitting?
                  If you can't fabricate, I'm sure a machine shop will do it for about
                  $5 or $10 at most. Or are you worried about warranty? Talk to Mike
                  about that one.