Re: [new_distillers] Yeast

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 58 , Jun 2, 2006
      I also have used mollasses and or tomato paste. I found that while
      the fermentation was dfinitely going on, it was as slow as ..........
      I added some comercial yeast nutrient and the whole thing took off
      like like a locomotive.
      It may all have been coincidental timing, but, that was my observation.
      At 09:46 AM 6/2/2006, you wrote:
      >A good quality mollasses or tomato paste
      >will supply nutrients, i've also added a
      >multi-vitamin.
      >cheers
      >greg
      >--- CJackson_98 <cjackson_98@...> wrote:

      Derek
    • Becool Stayslinky
      Message 58 of 58 , Feb 5, 2013
        Robert,

        There are a lot of variables, and in the end it comes down to experimentation and personal preference.  Take a look at this yeast reference chart for some basic information, and note the differences in the characteristics of the different strains.

        I mentioned EC1118 and DV10 for vodka because of the characteristics listed on the chart, fast ferment, temp and alcohol tolerant, neutral, etc.  I only make vodka, so these are the yeasts I use.  If you want to make whiskey or rum or whatever, I'm sure there are better choices.  I have also used bread yeast in the past, both regular and instant start, and they fermented Just fine.  I plan to try them both again in the future.

        Just remember that if you push the limits of any yeast you can end up with undesirable flavors.  Choose a yeast and work with it for a while to figure out how to make it happy.  Control your variables and refine your process around the yeast's best interests and it will be your friend.

        Almost forgot, have used superstart with sugar before - didn't like it, made bad flavors that I couldn't get rid of after multiple reflux distillations.

        BC