Re: [new_distillers] Yeast

  • greg tufts
    Message 1 of 58 , Jun 2, 2006
      A good quality mollasses or tomato paste
      will supply nutrients, i've also added a
      multi-vitamin.
      cheers
      greg
      --- CJackson_98 <cjackson_98@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Since returning to Thailand, I have made a wash using
      sugar and yeast.
      The only yeast I could find is like a bakers yeast. I
      made the normal wash
      using 6 kilo's of sugar, however I had to use this
      yeast instead of the turbo
      yeast. The wash bubbled for about 2 weeks then
      stopped. I checked the
      wash with the hydrometer and got a reading at around
      23 - 30, normally
      before I would get a reading of less than 1.
      Do I need to add more yeast? I can't get the turbo
      yeast here in Thailand.
      I have a friend that makes the beer at the local
      Hoffbrau House, but I have
      seen him in about a year. I can probably get some
      from him.
      Second question. Can I add more sugar or yeast after
      I have started the
      wash?

      Thanks,
      Charlie

      New Distillers group archives are at
      http://archive.nnytech.net/
      FAQ and other information available at
      http://homedistiller.org

      Food
      and drink Culture
      club Organizational
      culture
      Organizational culture change
      Organizational culture
      assessment

      Terms of Service.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Becool Stayslinky
      Message 58 of 58 , Feb 5, 2013
        Robert,

        There are a lot of variables, and in the end it comes down to experimentation and personal preference.  Take a look at this yeast reference chart for some basic information, and note the differences in the characteristics of the different strains.

        I mentioned EC1118 and DV10 for vodka because of the characteristics listed on the chart, fast ferment, temp and alcohol tolerant, neutral, etc.  I only make vodka, so these are the yeasts I use.  If you want to make whiskey or rum or whatever, I'm sure there are better choices.  I have also used bread yeast in the past, both regular and instant start, and they fermented Just fine.  I plan to try them both again in the future.

        Just remember that if you push the limits of any yeast you can end up with undesirable flavors.  Choose a yeast and work with it for a while to figure out how to make it happy.  Control your variables and refine your process around the yeast's best interests and it will be your friend.

        Almost forgot, have used superstart with sugar before - didn't like it, made bad flavors that I couldn't get rid of after multiple reflux distillations.

        BC