Re: [new_distillers] Ruta Graveolens

  • Jan Wouter
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
      I've a plant of it in my garden. The dutch name for it means actualy
      "wine-herb". I haven't considered using it for spirit yet, but I might give
      it a try when I've done my last run.
      If anyone has a receipe I would love to hear it.

      Regards
      Jan Wouter

      2006/6/2, sonum norbu <blanik@...>:

      > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion for
      > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy but the
      > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

    • waljaco
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
        It like Bison grass (Hirochloe odorata) contains aromatic coumarins.
        It is a common flavouring for grappa. A sprig is sufficient. The Roman
        women used it as an abortifant.
        wal
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
        wrote:

        > I thought exactly the same as you. However, it is quite interesting.
        > Kinda zingy/spicy with a mild rue smell. It's drunk as a digestif. Ask
        > miciofelice for the recipe, I know he makes it!
        > Cheers
        > Rob.
        >

        > --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion for
        > > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy but the
        > > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

      • miciofelice2003
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
          Hi to everybody.
          Ruta graveolens is used in Italy to correct the flavour and the
          taste of grappa.
          Just a sprig is enough, more is toxic.

          Put into your bottle (grappa should be at "normal" alcohol %, I mean
          40%) and let it for about a month. Then you can choose if to let in
          or not.

          Ruta to use must be collected before the flower period but quite
          close to this, to get the maximum "strength" of the herb.
          You can collect also after flower period, but the strength is not
          the same. Do not make the mistake to use more to correct it,
          otherwise you will get some a little bit toxic.

          Grappa will became pale green and will get the typical ruta taste:
          something of quite tasteful and helpful to digest.

          Ciao a tutti

          micio felice

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter"
          <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

          > I've a plant of it in my garden. The dutch name for it means
          actualy
          > "wine-herb". I haven't considered using it for spirit yet, but I
          might give
          > it a try when I've done my last run.
          > If anyone has a receipe I would love to hear it.
          >
          > Regards
          > Jan Wouter
          >

          > 2006/6/2, sonum norbu <blanik@...>:
          > >
          > > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion
          for
          > > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy
          but the
          > > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

        • Bob Malloy
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
            you might also be careful handling the rue...I had some in a bed some years ago and the research I did said handling it could make you photosensitive...(increases effect of sun on your skin. ) Unfortunately, I read that after I pulled it all from the bed. Got a good tan on my hands and face that day, along with blisters....
            If you are susceptible to those types of things you might be careful.....
            bob
            Ruta graveolens is used in Italy to correct the flavour and the
            taste of grappa.
            Just a sprig is enough, more is toxic.

            Put into your bottle (grappa should be at "normal" alcohol %, I mean
            40%) and let it for about a month. Then you can choose if to let in
            or not.

            Ruta to use must be collected before the flower period but quite
            close to this, to get the maximum "strength" of the herb.
            You can collect also after flower period, but the strength is not
            the same. Do not make the mistake to use more to correct it,
            otherwise you will get some a little bit toxic.

            Grappa will became pale green and will get the typical ruta taste:
            something of quite tasteful and helpful to digest.

            Ciao a tutti

            micio felice

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter"
            <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

            > I've a plant of it in my garden. The dutch name for it means
            actualy
            > "wine-herb". I haven't considered using it for spirit yet, but I
            might give
            > it a try when I've done my last run.
            > If anyone has a receipe I would love to hear it.
            >
            > Regards
            > Jan Wouter
            >

            > 2006/6/2, sonum norbu <blanik@...>:
            > >
            > > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion
            for
            > > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy
            but the
            > > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

            Organizational culture change Organizational culture assessment

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
              Thanks for the comments folks. I suppose I will have to try it now.
              :) Wonder what it would be like in a sugar/carbon filter batch. I'll
              let you all know...blanikdog

              --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion
              for
              > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy but
              the
              > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 7, 2006
                I know. I've had some mean blisters on my hands to. Nowadays I handle the
                stuf with more care.
                Jan Wouter

                2006/6/2, Bob Malloy <bobmalloy@...>:

                > you might also be careful handling the rue...I had some in a bed some
                > years ago and the research I did said handling it could make you
                > photosensitive...(increases effect of sun on your skin. ) Unfortunately, I
                > read that after I pulled it all from the bed. Got a good tan on my hands
                > and face that day, along with blisters....
                > If you are susceptible to those types of things you might be careful.....
                > bob

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 7, 2006
                  It really bad for me! God knows what it does to my insides. What I'd
                  like to know though, is why bob has it in his bed? Apparently it is a
                  vermifuge. You got bugs, bob?
                  grinning,
                  Rob.

                  --- Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

                  > I know. I've had some mean blisters on my hands to. Nowadays I handle
                  > the
                  > stuf with more care.
                  > Jan Wouter
                  >
                  > 2006/6/2, Bob Malloy <bobmalloy@...>:
                  > >
                  > > you might also be careful handling the rue...I had some in a bed
                  > some
                  > > years ago and the research I did said handling it could make you
                  > > photosensitive...(increases effect of sun on your skin. )
                  > Unfortunately, I
                  > > read that after I pulled it all from the bed. Got a good tan on my
                  > hands
                  > > and face that day, along with blisters....
                  > > If you are susceptible to those types of things you might be
                  > careful.....
                  > > bob

                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Bob Malloy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 7, 2006
                    WOW!
                    I had to read it 2x to catch what you said...
                    Wrong bed, but IIRC that WAS why I planted it to begin with....bug repellent properties...planted it in a FLOWER bed around a patio/pool area. Wasn't crazy about the looks and didn't seem to do what I thought it would do. Maybe next time I'll try it in the OTHER bed...but I don' think I'll be drinking it anytime soon.

                    bob
                    It really bad for me! God knows what it does to my insides. What I'd
                    like to know though, is why bob has it in his bed? Apparently it is a
                    vermifuge. You got bugs, bob?
                    grinning,
                    Rob.

                    --- Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

                    > I know. I've had some mean blisters on my hands to. Nowadays I handle
                    > the
                    > stuf with more care.
                    > Jan Wouter
                    >
                    > 2006/6/2, Bob Malloy <bobmalloy@...>:
                    > >
                    > > you might also be careful handling the rue...I had some in a bed
                    > some
                    > > years ago and the research I did said handling it could make you
                    > > photosensitive...(increases effect of sun on your skin. )
                    > Unfortunately, I
                    > > read that after I pulled it all from the bed. Got a good tan on my
                    > hands
                    > > and face that day, along with blisters....
                    > > If you are susceptible to those types of things you might be
                    > careful.....
                    > > bob

                    Cheers,
                    Rob.