Ruta Graveolens

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
      Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion for
      spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy but the
      smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
        I thought exactly the same as you. However, it is quite interesting.
        Kinda zingy/spicy with a mild rue smell. It's drunk as a digestif. Ask
        miciofelice for the recipe, I know he makes it!
        Cheers
        Rob.

        --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion for
        > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy but the
        > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jan Wouter
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
          I've a plant of it in my garden. The dutch name for it means actualy
          "wine-herb". I haven't considered using it for spirit yet, but I might give
          it a try when I've done my last run.
          If anyone has a receipe I would love to hear it.

          Regards
          Jan Wouter

          2006/6/2, sonum norbu <blanik@...>:

          > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion for
          > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy but the
          > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

        • waljaco
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
            It like Bison grass (Hirochloe odorata) contains aromatic coumarins.
            It is a common flavouring for grappa. A sprig is sufficient. The Roman
            women used it as an abortifant.
            wal
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
            wrote:

            > I thought exactly the same as you. However, it is quite interesting.
            > Kinda zingy/spicy with a mild rue smell. It's drunk as a digestif. Ask
            > miciofelice for the recipe, I know he makes it!
            > Cheers
            > Rob.
            >

            > --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion for
            > > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy but the
            > > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

          • miciofelice2003
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
              Hi to everybody.
              Ruta graveolens is used in Italy to correct the flavour and the
              taste of grappa.
              Just a sprig is enough, more is toxic.

              Put into your bottle (grappa should be at "normal" alcohol %, I mean
              40%) and let it for about a month. Then you can choose if to let in
              or not.

              Ruta to use must be collected before the flower period but quite
              close to this, to get the maximum "strength" of the herb.
              You can collect also after flower period, but the strength is not
              the same. Do not make the mistake to use more to correct it,
              otherwise you will get some a little bit toxic.

              Grappa will became pale green and will get the typical ruta taste:
              something of quite tasteful and helpful to digest.

              Ciao a tutti

              micio felice

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter"
              <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

              > I've a plant of it in my garden. The dutch name for it means
              actualy
              > "wine-herb". I haven't considered using it for spirit yet, but I
              might give
              > it a try when I've done my last run.
              > If anyone has a receipe I would love to hear it.
              >
              > Regards
              > Jan Wouter
              >

              > 2006/6/2, sonum norbu <blanik@...>:
              > >
              > > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion
              for
              > > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy
              but the
              > > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

            • Bob Malloy
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
                you might also be careful handling the rue...I had some in a bed some years ago and the research I did said handling it could make you photosensitive...(increases effect of sun on your skin. ) Unfortunately, I read that after I pulled it all from the bed. Got a good tan on my hands and face that day, along with blisters....
                If you are susceptible to those types of things you might be careful.....
                bob

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Thanks for the comments folks. I suppose I will have to try it now.
                  :) Wonder what it would be like in a sugar/carbon filter batch. I'll
                  let you all know...blanikdog

                  --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

                  > Has anyone heard of using "ruta graveolens" (rue) as an infusion
                  for
                  > spirit. An old italian bloke told me about using it in Italy but
                  the
                  > smell of rue sorta turns me right orf!!! Blanikdog

                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 7, 2006
                    I know. I've had some mean blisters on my hands to. Nowadays I handle the
                    stuf with more care.
                    Jan Wouter

                    2006/6/2, Bob Malloy <bobmalloy@...>:

                    > you might also be careful handling the rue...I had some in a bed some
                    > years ago and the research I did said handling it could make you
                    > photosensitive...(increases effect of sun on your skin. ) Unfortunately, I
                    > read that after I pulled it all from the bed. Got a good tan on my hands
                    > and face that day, along with blisters....
                    > If you are susceptible to those types of things you might be careful.....
                    > bob

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 7, 2006
                      It really bad for me! God knows what it does to my insides. What I'd
                      like to know though, is why bob has it in his bed? Apparently it is a
                      vermifuge. You got bugs, bob?
                      grinning,
                      Rob.

                      --- Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

                      > I know. I've had some mean blisters on my hands to. Nowadays I handle
                      > the
                      > stuf with more care.
                      > Jan Wouter
                      >
                      > 2006/6/2, Bob Malloy <bobmalloy@...>:
                      > >
                      > > you might also be careful handling the rue...I had some in a bed
                      > some
                      > > years ago and the research I did said handling it could make you
                      > > photosensitive...(increases effect of sun on your skin. )
                      > Unfortunately, I
                      > > read that after I pulled it all from the bed. Got a good tan on my
                      > hands
                      > > and face that day, along with blisters....
                      > > If you are susceptible to those types of things you might be
                      > careful.....
                      > > bob

                      Cheers,
                      Rob.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Bob Malloy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 7, 2006
                        WOW!
                        I had to read it 2x to catch what you said...
                        Wrong bed, but IIRC that WAS why I planted it to begin with....bug repellent properties...planted it in a FLOWER bed around a patio/pool area. Wasn't crazy about the looks and didn't seem to do what I thought it would do. Maybe next time I'll try it in the OTHER bed...but I don' think I'll be drinking it anytime soon.

                        bob
                        It really bad for me! God knows what it does to my insides. What I'd
                        like to know though, is why bob has it in his bed? Apparently it is a
                        vermifuge. You got bugs, bob?
                        grinning,
                        Rob.

                        --- Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

                        > I know. I've had some mean blisters on my hands to. Nowadays I handle
                        > the
                        > stuf with more care.
                        > Jan Wouter
                        >
                        > 2006/6/2, Bob Malloy <bobmalloy@...>:
                        > >
                        > > you might also be careful handling the rue...I had some in a bed
                        > some
                        > > years ago and the research I did said handling it could make you
                        > > photosensitive...(increases effect of sun on your skin. )
                        > Unfortunately, I
                        > > read that after I pulled it all from the bed. Got a good tan on my
                        > hands
                        > > and face that day, along with blisters....
                        > > If you are susceptible to those types of things you might be
                        > careful.....
                        > > bob

                        Cheers,
                        Rob.