Any old port..............

  • Wes
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30, 2006
      I have come into possesion of an old 12 litre oak port barrel that
      accumulated a glutinous coating of black gunk inside. I have been
      flushing it out with water for a month, even stuck the pressure
      cleaner inside but have been so far unable to remove the smell or
      having the water turn the colour of ther Derwent River.
      Any suggestions for cleaning would be appreciated and if it works
      could pass on the treatment to land care.
      Wes
    • Paul McMillan
      Message 2 of 14 , May 30, 2006
        Get a stronger pressure washer? How many horsepower was the one you
        used? These plug-in jobbies aren't much of anything these days.. What
        about something to oxidize the smell out? I don't expect hydrogen
        peroxide would do much harm, but the drugstore strength wouldn't do
        much good either... if you could find some 30% or 50% and dilute to
        maybe 25%, you would probably find it quite effective. Try looking at
        a hair salon (they use it for bleaching hair) Just be careful not to
        set yourself on fire or blow anything up.

        Paul

        On 5/30/06, Wes <fourtysouth@...> wrote:
        > I have come into possesion of an old 12 litre oak port barrel that
        > accumulated a glutinous coating of black gunk inside. I have been
        > flushing it out with water for a month, even stuck the pressure
        > cleaner inside but have been so far unable to remove the smell or
        > having the water turn the colour of ther Derwent River.
        > Any suggestions for cleaning would be appreciated and if it works
        > could pass on the treatment to land care.
        > Wes

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 14 , May 30, 2006
          My good friend Luigi who makes the best Zinfandel I have ever tasted
          says that there is only one way to cleanse a barrel which has gone
          bad---- it is called the Ashes Test. Light the barrel on fire. When
          it has been consumed and only ashes remain you know it is cleansed.
          His point, it just ain't worth it because the odds of tainting or
          ruining a good wine, whisky, port or whatever is high.
          Get rid of it. Contact local distilleries, wineries etc. The do
          sell barrels before they have finished their active life.
          Keep in mind that barrels have a life expectancy. After a while the
          oak has given up all that it can give up to the fluids within. At
          that point it simply becomes a storage container to store your hooch
          in while allowing some breathing.
          In my early days of winemaking some 35 years ago we bought some used
          whisky barrels from a distillery. We sent them to a cooperage who
          disassembled them planed the wood to remove the char and reassembled
          the barrels.
          We then made wine. The sad truth is that probably those barrels had
          been used as wine barrels for several years then sold to the
          distillery. After charring they spent some years storing the cheap
          stuff that outfit produced. By the time we got them they were
          virtually finished.
          We made some reasonable drinking wines and then both barrels got
          infected with something. We lost 90 gallons.
          Once we started using decent new barrels from France or Hungary our
          wines became much more interesting.
          At 05:12 PM 5/30/2006, you wrote:
          >Get a stronger pressure washer? How many horsepower was the one you
          >used? These plug-in jobbies aren't much of anything these days.. What
          >about something to oxidize the smell out? I don't expect hydrogen
          >peroxide would do much harm, but the drugstore strength wouldn't do
          >much good either... if you could find some 30% or 50% and dilute to
          >maybe 25%, you would probably find it quite effective. Try looking at
          >a hair salon (they use it for bleaching hair) Just be careful not to
          >set yourself on fire or blow anything up.
          >
          >Paul
          >

          >On 5/30/06, Wes <fourtysouth@...> wrote:
          > > I have come into possesion of an old 12 litre oak port barrel that
          > > accumulated a glutinous coating of black gunk inside. I have been
          > > flushing it out with water for a month, even stuck the pressure
          > > cleaner inside but have been so far unable to remove the smell or
          > > having the water turn the colour of ther Derwent River.
          > > Any suggestions for cleaning would be appreciated and if it works
          > > could pass on the treatment to land care.
          > > Wes

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Derek
        • richardt2005
          Message 4 of 14 , May 30, 2006
            50% H2O2 in a wood barrell will result in an instant flash fire, and
            a VERY painful death.

            Take it to your local self service car wash, they're running 600-800
            PSI

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul McMillan" <Paul@...>
            wrote:

            > Get a stronger pressure washer? How many horsepower was the one you
            > used? These plug-in jobbies aren't much of anything these days..
            What
            > about something to oxidize the smell out? I don't expect hydrogen
            > peroxide would do much harm, but the drugstore strength wouldn't do
            > much good either... if you could find some 30% or 50% and dilute to
            > maybe 25%, you would probably find it quite effective. Try looking
            at
            > a hair salon (they use it for bleaching hair) Just be careful not
            > set yourself on fire or blow anything up.
            >
            > Paul
            >

            > On 5/30/06, Wes <fourtysouth@...> wrote:
            > > I have come into possesion of an old 12 litre oak port barrel
            that
            > > accumulated a glutinous coating of black gunk inside. I have been
            > > flushing it out with water for a month, even stuck the pressure
            > > cleaner inside but have been so far unable to remove the smell or
            > > having the water turn the colour of ther Derwent River.
            > > Any suggestions for cleaning would be appreciated and if it works
            > > could pass on the treatment to land care.
            > > Wes

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tim Lebsanft
            Message 5 of 14 , May 31, 2006
              sodium metabisulphate maybe?

              >From: "Wes" <fourtysouth@...>
              >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [new_distillers] Any old port..............
              >Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 00:04:41 -0000
              >
              >I have come into possesion of an old 12 litre oak port barrel that
              >accumulated a glutinous coating of black gunk inside. I have been
              >flushing it out with water for a month, even stuck the pressure
              >cleaner inside but have been so far unable to remove the smell or
              >having the water turn the colour of ther Derwent River.
              >Any suggestions for cleaning would be appreciated and if it works
              >could pass on the treatment to land care.
              >Wes

            • Paul McMillan
              Message 6 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                I probably should have been more forceful with my warning about fire.
                You really must dilute it otherwise it WILL catch fire, as Richard
                said.

                Also, you probably want something stronger than the self-service
                carwash. The pressure washer I had in mind is the sort that never
                could be used to wash cars - it takes the paint right off. See if you
                can find one with a several horsepower gas engine.

                Paul
              • Jan Wouter
                Message 7 of 14 , May 31, 2006

                  > Also, you probably want something stronger than the self-service
                  > carwash. The pressure washer I had in mind is the sort that never
                  > could be used to wash cars - it takes the paint right off. See if you
                  > can find one with a several horsepower gas engine.

                  Here in the Netherlands the outside of a a lot of houses are cleaned with
                  what is called a "Sandbeamer". I don't know the proper engliss word, but it
                  gives the proper idea. A mixture of water and sand is jetted a high pressure
                  against the stones of a house, leaving them like new again.
                  You can sometimes find these at carpaint business.

                  Also using lye or caustic soda migth give good results.

                  Good luck
                  Jan Wouter

                • Larry Collins
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                    At 02:28 AM 05/31/2006, you wrote:
                    >The pressure washer I had in mind is the sort that never
                    >could be used to wash cars - it takes the paint right off. See if you
                    >can find one with a several horsepower gas engine.

                    Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just buy a new barrel???

                    This is beginning to remind me of something I once read about how it was
                    discovered that ballpoint pens didn't work in outer space. No way to fill
                    out logs and write reports!

                    NASA spent a year, and some unspeakable amount of money developing a
                    ballpoint pen that would work in super-cold temps, upside-down, and zero
                    gravity.

                    The Russians, on the other hand, simply supplied their cosmonauts with
                    soft-lead pencils instead of ballpoint pens...
                  • Larry Collins
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                      At 03:38 AM 05/31/2006, you wrote:

                      >Also using lye or caustic soda migth give good results.

                      I think that using lye to clean stills is one of the ways old-time
                      moonshiners used to accidentally make poison whiskey.

                      You don't have to ingest much lye to cause yourself problems.
                    • Jan Wouter
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                        2006/5/31, Larry Collins <barefootlarry@...>:

                        > At 03:38 AM 05/31/2006, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >Also using lye or caustic soda migth give good results.
                        >
                        > I think that using lye to clean stills is one of the ways old-time
                        > moonshiners used to accidentally make poison whiskey.
                        >
                        > You don't have to ingest much lye to cause yourself problems.

                        Neutralize afterwards with acid (vinegar)

                        Jan Wouter

                      • Lindsay Williams
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                          Sandblasting!!

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter"
                          <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:

                          > > Also, you probably want something stronger than the self-service
                          > > carwash. The pressure washer I had in mind is the sort that never
                          > > could be used to wash cars - it takes the paint right off. See if you
                          > > can find one with a several horsepower gas engine.
                          >

                          > Here in the Netherlands the outside of a a lot of houses are cleaned
                          with
                          > what is called a "Sandbeamer". I don't know the proper engliss word,
                          but it
                          > gives the proper idea. A mixture of water and sand is jetted a high
                          pressure
                          > against the stones of a house, leaving them like new again.
                          > You can sometimes find these at carpaint business.
                          >
                          > Also using lye or caustic soda migth give good results.
                          >
                          > Good luck
                          > Jan Wouter

                        • Jan Wouter
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                            2006/5/31, Lindsay Williams <lindsay.nz@...>:

                            > Sandblasting!!

                            That's the word.
                            Thanks
                            Jan Wouter

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Wes" <fourtysouth@...> wrote:

                              > I have come into possesion of an old 12 litre oak port barrel that
                              > accumulated a glutinous coating of black gunk inside. I have been
                              > flushing it out with water for a month, even stuck the pressure
                              > cleaner inside but have been so far unable to remove the smell or
                              > having the water turn the colour of ther Derwent River.
                              > Any suggestions for cleaning would be appreciated and if it works
                              > could pass on the treatment to land care.
                              > Wes

                              Well, it's been a long and interesting thread. A great insight to
                              the thought processes of the addicted recycler. :-)

                              Wes: All you need to know about alcohol is that first and foremost,
                              it is a SOLVENT. Anything that it comes into contact with in your
                              wood, it will dissolve into the alcohol. Black gunk = mold. It
                              will be right through the wood. After you put booze in it, it will
                              be right through your booze, and your intestines. Could make for
                              some ermmm..."interesting" flavours and toilet sessions.

                              Burn it as Derek said, or if you really MUST satisfy that recycling
                              urge, use it for an ornamental planter.

                              50% H2O2 ? No! Of course you could always rebuild the house.
                              Pressure washing? Will only drive the contaminants further into the
                              wood.
                              Metabisulfite? Way too late. Should have been done the moment the
                              barrel was emptied of port.
                              Vinegar? Great if you want everything that goes into the barrel in
                              the future to become vinegar.
                              Sandblasting? On boats, balustrades, stone walls maybe, but on
                              wood, and inside it also? Methinks not. It's a high-speed form of
                              sandpapering.

                              There were certainly some interesting ideas there. Most of which
                              would finish up costing as much or more than a new barrel.
                              Unfortunately none are practical for contaminated wood.

                            • acpfoto@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 31, 2006
                                Make a planter box out of it. I wouldn't want to store anything in any
                                barrel that has turned. Once vinegar has set into the wood it will
                                contaminate any thing else you put in there. I have many great herb
                                gardens in sold barrels. Grow the kind you can use for Gin. Good luck