RE: [new_distillers] newbie

  • Tony & Elle Ackland
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 28, 2000
      Ibo,

      It could be a number of things.
      1) Was it a good fermentation - did you keep the temperature constant at
      around 20C (68F), did it bubble strongly for a couple of days. Did it taste
      ok when it was finished (should be agreeable, not nasty (infection?) or too
      sweet (unfermented sugars present). Did you happen to measure the specific
      gravity of it before & after fermentation ?

      If the fermentation didn't go well, then little point in progressing.
      Gotta have the alcohol there before you can distil it.

      2)When you transfered it into the still, were you carefull not to get too
      much of the sediment/yeast carried over into it (this will burst when
      heated and give a bad smell)

      3) The temperature you want to measure is the vapour temperature. For a
      pot still, this will get up to around 90C (194F) when running.

      4)Did you stop collecting the distillate once the tails started coming over
      ? If you collect these, it'll ruin what you've got. Read the
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/dtw.htm page carefully & a couple
      of times.

      5) How much did you start with ? How much distillate did you collect ?

      6) Don't throw anything away yet - thats the beauty of distilling - you can
      generally redistill any mistakes and turn them honest.

      Tony

      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 22, 2012
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Tyrell Hicks <hick7761@...> wrote:

        > Also a newbie, I'm looking for the same exact things...plans & recipes.
        > Please share if you find something useful.
        > Thanks in advance.

        lots of recipes and informal sites but none wit actual material lists on their stills. check out homedistiller.org/ lots of information there