Re: CM theory

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2006
      That seems to be the VM/CM combo I sketched. To use it for neutral
      alcohol it's easiest to run at full cooling to both condensers and
      operate the VM gate/ball valve to controll your takeoff rate. That
      means after equilibrium is reached open the valve a bit to get ~1
      drop / sec and collect untill the stuff coming out is pure ethanol.
      After that open the valve more and distill as usual.

      Three things to note while building this:
      The cap need to be tight, the ventilation is via CM outlet.
      Add a collar below the VM takeoff.
      The reflux condenser need to be big enough for full-reflux operation.

      I wouldn't bother myself with theoretical reflux ratios. Experiment
      with the valve to get a feeling for proper takeoff rates. The
      required reflux ratio is non-linear function throughout the run, so
      you can't stay at the optimal RR unless you use ARC.

      - Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
      <richardt2005@...> wrote:

      > I'm starting construction of a cooling managed still, likely per
      > Riku's page 20 sketch. It's intended for both pure ethanol
      > production, and as a pot still for fruit brandies.
      >
      > In it'e ethanol mode I want to be sure I understand the theory.
      As I