All Grain mash 25 liter

  • George & Linda
    Message 1 of 18 , May 14, 2006
      Using alcotec 48 turbo yeast, all corn no sugar,,(1) how much grain
      for 25 ltr,(2) what type corn to use for fermentation AND (3) what all
      should be done to the corn prior to fermenting, and what % ABV should i
      expect at or about 5 days of fermentation?? PLEASE__Im new at this and
      any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks George at
      frogger2542000@... or also georgetinatlanta@... Thanks again
      for any and all help..
      Message 2 of 18 , May 14, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "George & Linda"
        <georgetinatlanta@...> wrote:

        > Using alcotec 48 turbo yeast, all corn no sugar,,(1) how much grain
        > for 25 ltr,(2) what type corn to use for fermentation AND (3) what
        all
        > should be done to the corn prior to fermenting, and what % ABV
        should i
        > expect at or about 5 days of fermentation?? PLEASE__Im new at this
        and
        > any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks George at
        > frogger2542000@... or also georgetinatlanta@... Thanks again
        > for any and all help..

        Best advice I can give is RTFM. :-)
        http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 18 , May 14, 2006
          RTFM ???????? Blanikdawg :)

          > Using alcotec 48 turbo yeast, all corn no sugar,,(1) how much
          grain
          > for 25 ltr,(2) what type corn to use for fermentation AND (3) what
          all
          > should be done to the corn prior to fermenting, and what % ABV
          should i
          > expect at or about 5 days of fermentation?? PLEASE__Im new at this
          and
          > any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks George at
          > frogger2542000@... or also georgetinatlanta@... Thanks again
          > for any and all help..

          Best advice I can give is RTFM. :-)
          http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm

          Food and drink Culture club Organizational culture
          Organizational culture change Organizational culture assessment

          Service.

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
          IRC server tessnet.cx

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 18 , May 14, 2006
            I'm sorta guessing it starts with read, ends in manual, and may have
            F***king and the in the middle.
            Cheers
            Rob.

            --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

            > RTFM ???????? Blanikdawg :)

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 18 , May 15, 2006
              Read The F***ing Manual :)

              - Riku

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@...>
              wrote:

              > RTFM ???????? Blanikdawg :)

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                To be fair (and a bit less confrontational) it _could_ also mean:
                "read the fine manual": after all it is a fine manual, and REALLY
                SHOULD BE READ BY ALL NEWBIES!

                Sorry about that, I've calmed down again.

                Riku, can you let me know how best to control the boiling point of
                ethanol? ;)

                Cheers
                Rob.

                Cheers,
                Rob.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                  By altering the environmental atmospheric pressure of course, bet
                  you didn't think of that ;)

                  - Riku

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas >

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Riku, can you let me know how best to control the boiling point of
                    > ethanol? ;)
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > Rob.

                    :^)

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                      I could go on (suggesting I seal up the column to increase pressure)
                      but that might start getting dangerous for the humour-impaired!
                      cheers
                      Rob.

                      --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                      > By altering the environmental atmospheric pressure of course, bet
                      > you didn't think of that ;)
                      >
                      > - Riku
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas >
                      > > Riku, can you let me know how best to control the boiling point of
                      > > ethanol? ;)
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > > Rob.
                      > >

                      > > Cheers,
                      > > Rob.

                      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Cheers,
                      Rob.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • abbababbaccc
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                        Actually it could be useful for separating ethyl acetate from
                        ethanol. Anyone know how their boiling point difference goes when
                        pressure increases?

                        <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                        > I could go on (suggesting I seal up the column to increase pressure)
                        > but that might start getting dangerous for the humour-impaired!
                        > cheers
                        > Rob.
                        >

                        > --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > By altering the environmental atmospheric pressure of course, bet
                        > > you didn't think of that ;)
                        > >
                        > > - Riku
                        > >
                        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas >
                        > > > Riku, can you let me know how best to control the boiling point
                        of
                        > > > ethanol? ;)
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers
                        > > > Rob.
                        > > >

                        > > > Cheers,
                        > > > Rob.

                        > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                        > > >

                        > Cheers,
                        > Rob.

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Robert Thomas
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                          A few (almost) relevant links:

                          vapour pressure graphs:
                          http://www.s-ohe.com/vp_data.html

                          pressure swing distillation:
                          http://www.chemsoc.org/chembytes/ezine/2001/colley_aug01.htm

                          adding substances to change the azeotropic mix:
                          http://www.brix-berg.com/study4.htm

                          that lot should keep you busy Riku!
                          cheers
                          Rob.

                          --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                          > Actually it could be useful for separating ethyl acetate from
                          > ethanol. Anyone know how their boiling point difference goes when
                          > pressure increases?
                          >
                          > - Riku
                          >
                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                          > <whosbrewing@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I could go on (suggesting I seal up the column to increase
                          > pressure)
                          > > but that might start getting dangerous for the humour-impaired!
                          > > cheers
                          > > Rob.
                          > >

                          > > --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > By altering the environmental atmospheric pressure of course, bet
                          >
                          > > > you didn't think of that ;)
                          > > >
                          > > > - Riku
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas >
                          >
                          > of

                          > > Cheers,
                          > > Rob.

                          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          Cheers,
                          Rob.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Robert Thomas
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                            Here's a patent for extractive distillation of ethanol from
                            EtOH/EtOAc/H2O:
                            http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6375807.html

                            Cheers,
                            Rob.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                              wrote:

                              > Here's a patent for extractive distillation of ethanol from
                              > EtOH/EtOAc/H2O:
                              > http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6375807.html

                              Gee, at this rate I can retire somewhat! :-)
                              You guys seem to have a handle on it. ;)

                            • Robert Thomas
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                                You got access to a chemistry library Harry?
                                if so, can you have a look at:
                                Furzer, I. A. 2001. Critical distillation experiments in a region near
                                the homogenous ternary azeotrope in the system ethyl
                                acetate-ethanol-water. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 40:990-992.

                                cheers
                                rob.

                                --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                                > <whosbrewing@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Here's a patent for extractive distillation of ethanol from
                                > > EtOH/EtOAc/H2O:
                                > > http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6375807.html
                                >

                                > Gee, at this rate I can retire somewhat! :-)
                                > You guys seem to have a handle on it. ;)
                                >

                                > Slainte!
                                > regards Harry

                                Cheers,
                                Rob.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • abbababbaccc
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                                  Two interesting points, water-ethyl acetate-ethanol mix has an
                                  azeotrope boiling point of 70.2C ! Increase in boiling point
                                  difference is linear which makes separation of ethyl acetate via
                                  vacuum distillation extremely difficult.

                                  <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

                                  > A few (almost) relevant links:
                                  >
                                  > vapour pressure graphs:
                                  > http://www.s-ohe.com/vp_data.html
                                  >
                                  > pressure swing distillation:
                                  > http://www.chemsoc.org/chembytes/ezine/2001/colley_aug01.htm
                                  >
                                  > adding substances to change the azeotropic mix:
                                  > http://www.brix-berg.com/study4.htm
                                  >
                                  > that lot should keep you busy Riku!
                                  > cheers
                                  > Rob.
                                  >

                                  > --- abbababbaccc <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Actually it could be useful for separating ethyl acetate from
                                  > > ethanol. Anyone know how their boiling point difference goes when
                                  > > pressure increases?
                                  > >
                                  > > - Riku
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas
                                  > > <whosbrewing@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I could go on (suggesting I seal up the column to increase
                                  > > pressure)
                                  > > > but that might start getting dangerous for the humour-impaired!
                                  > > > cheers
                                  > > > Rob.

                                  > > of

                                  > > > Cheers,
                                  > > > Rob.

                                  > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  > > >

                                  > Cheers,
                                  > Rob.

                                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • sonum norbu
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 15, 2006
                                    Heavens above!!! I think you're right. What a good idea...blanikdog
                                    :))

                                    --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

                                    > RTFM ???????? Blanikdawg :)

                                    Cheers,
                                    Rob.

                                    Food and drink Culture club Organizational culture
                                    Organizational culture change Organizational culture assessment

                                    Service.

                                    SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                                    http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                                    IRC server tessnet.cx

                                  • Murray Chittick
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 30, 2006
                                      George,

                                      This wouldn't be George Strengers, would it?

                                      If you're having problems, let me know, I've had a bit of experience with
                                      this.

                                      Murray Chittick

                                      Using alcotec 48 turbo yeast, all corn no sugar,,(1) how much grain
                                      for 25 ltr,(2) what type corn to use for fermentation AND (3) what all
                                      should be done to the corn prior to fermenting, and what % ABV should i
                                      expect at or about 5 days of fermentation?? PLEASE__Im new at this and
                                      any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks George at
                                      frogger2542000@... or also georgetinatlanta@... Thanks again
                                      for any and all help..

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    • Brendan Keith
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 30, 2006
                                        That likely won't ferment at all. Alcotec 48 turbo yeast is for fermenting
                                        sugar, not corn. With no enzymes, there won't be any starch converted and
                                        sugar made free for fermenting.

                                        You'd be better off using bakers or brewers yeast.

                                        (1) About 10 lbs.

                                        (2) Cracked feed corn, boiled until the starch is gelatinized,

                                        (3) Add malted barley or powdered enzymes to convert.

                                        (4) Ferment.

                                        --
                                        Brendan Keith
                                        bkeith@...