Apple brandy flavor

  • richardt2005
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2006
      I've just finished my second batch of apple brandy with a dead simple
      pot still. It's nicely drinkable, 60% abv cut to 40% for
      consumption. But it has no detectable apple flavor, and I was trying
      for some. The wine was nicely flavored. Any suggestions?
    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2006
        There's no confusion with infusion.

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
          <richardt2005@...> wrote:

          > I've just finished my second batch of apple brandy with a dead
          simple
          > pot still. It's nicely drinkable, 60% abv cut to 40% for
          > consumption. But it has no detectable apple flavor, and I was
          trying
          > for some. The wine was nicely flavored. Any suggestions?

          =====================================
          Richard, Here is a recipe I copied off the net to make blackberry
          brandy from berries from my garden. Works great. Great berry flavor.
          Would probably work fine for apples. Just make some neutral spirits
          and use in place of grain alcohol. This is what's called
          the"infusion method".

          Pop

          4 cups crushed blackberry's
          2 cups sugar
          2 cups grain alcohol
          4 cups water
          Combine all ingredients, shake well. Steep for 7 days, shake again.
          After 2 months, strain and bottle.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 9, 2006
            2006/5/9, richardt2005 <richardt2005@...>:

            > I've just finished my second batch of apple brandy with a dead simple
            > pot still. It's nicely drinkable, 60% abv cut to 40% for
            > consumption. But it has no detectable apple flavor, and I was trying
            > for some. The wine was nicely flavored. Any suggestions?

            You can do the cutting down with apple wine.

            Jan Wouter

            Message 5 of 11 , May 9, 2006
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Wouter"
              <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote:
              The wine was nicely flavored. Any suggestions?

              > You can do the cutting down with apple wine.
              >
              > Jan Wouter

              Good option. Brandy's are pretty much a 'fortified' wine. Take wine
              @ 17-20%, add neutral ethanol to 40-45% abv. Job done. Just beware
              of the hangover potential. All fruit wines will contain nasties.

            • bill
              Message 6 of 11 , May 9, 2006
                William F Shemanski
                THINK------PLAIN Good Old CLEAR
                apple Juice To Cut Apple Brandy.
                3 Years making Irish Apple Brandy, It's the Favorite for my close
                friends!

              • miciofelice2003
                Message 7 of 11 , May 10, 2006
                  Hi richardt2005.

                  I'm thinking to start with fruits distillation, and so your post
                  arrived just in time.

                  Did you "boil" apples, of course whished (and fermented, added with
                  sugar, etc. etc.) pulp or did you press the fruit and then you
                  fermented - and distilled - the liquid obtained ?

                  On the Italian Forum we had a talk about it and we had two
                  tendencies: one wanted the distillation of pulp (of course whished,
                  fermented, added with sugar, diluted with water, etc. etc.) and the
                  other wanted to press the fruits to get only the juice (then to
                  ferment, to add with sugar, etc. etc.).

                  So I should like to know how you did.

                  In my opinion it's quite hard to distil getting also the flavour of
                  the fruits: you distil to get alcohol and may be all the particular
                  flavours of the fruit aren't able to be stripped.

                  Talking about my experience in distilling "grappa" I can assure that
                  the obtained spirit doesn't smell of grapes.

                  Ciao a tutti.

                  micio felice

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 10, 2006
                    I cored, sliced and peeled the apples with a small machine, then
                    ground the slices in a food processor. Added water and yeast and
                    let the mash ferment. I had access to the food processor, not to a
                    press.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
                    <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

                    > Hi richardt2005.
                    >
                    > I'm thinking to start with fruits distillation, and so your post
                    > arrived just in time.
                    >
                    > Did you "boil" apples, of course whished (and fermented, added
                    with
                    > sugar, etc. etc.) pulp or did you press the fruit and then you
                    > fermented - and distilled - the liquid obtained ?
                    >
                    > On the Italian Forum we had a talk about it and we had two
                    > tendencies: one wanted the distillation of pulp (of course
                    whished,
                    > fermented, added with sugar, diluted with water, etc. etc.) and
                    the
                    > other wanted to press the fruits to get only the juice (then to
                    > ferment, to add with sugar, etc. etc.).
                    >
                    > So I should like to know how you did.
                    >
                    > In my opinion it's quite hard to distil getting also the flavour
                    of
                    > the fruits: you distil to get alcohol and may be all the
                    particular
                    > flavours of the fruit aren't able to be stripped.
                    >
                    > Talking about my experience in distilling "grappa" I can assure
                    that
                    > the obtained spirit doesn't smell of grapes.
                    >
                    > Ciao a tutti.
                    >
                    > micio felice
                    >

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
                    > <richardt2005@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've just finished my second batch of apple brandy with a dead
                    > simple
                    > > pot still. It's nicely drinkable, 60% abv cut to 40% for
                    > > consumption. But it has no detectable apple flavor, and I was
                    > trying
                    > > for some. The wine was nicely flavored. Any suggestions?

                  • Greg Basile
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 10, 2006
                      Hi guys..
                      I have been working with fruit washes for a couple of years. Grappa was a natural for us being wine hobbyist. Last year I tried to make some apple brandy. I know a local farmer and he hooked me up with about 20 gallons of the sweetest un pasteurized apple cider he could make (about 10%). I selected cider because it was simpler no fuss...no muss. I did add considerable amount of sugar to bring it up to 20%. Pitched the yeast, let it ferment, ran though the pot still twice. I purchased a small oak barrel and put it in. Seven months later it's similar to a grappa brandy, but it has more body and has no real apple flavor. Maybe I should have used the pulp, etc. However...It's some nice cocktail! Greg

                      <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

                      > Hi richardt2005.
                      >
                      > I'm thinking to start with fruits distillation, and so your post
                      > arrived just in time.
                      >
                      > Did you "boil" apples, of course whished (and fermented, added
                      with
                      > sugar, etc. etc.) pulp or did you press the fruit and then you
                      > fermented - and distilled - the liquid obtained ?
                      >
                      > On the Italian Forum we had a talk about it and we had two
                      > tendencies: one wanted the distillation of pulp (of course
                      whished,
                      > fermented, added with sugar, diluted with water, etc. etc.) and
                      the
                      > other wanted to press the fruits to get only the juice (then to
                      > ferment, to add with sugar, etc. etc.).
                      >
                      > So I should like to know how you did.
                      >
                      > In my opinion it's quite hard to distil getting also the flavour
                      of
                      > the fruits: you distil to get alcohol and may be all the
                      particular
                      > flavours of the fruit aren't able to be stripped.
                      >
                      > Talking about my experience in distilling "grappa" I can assure
                      that
                      > the obtained spirit doesn't smell of grapes.
                      >
                      > Ciao a tutti.
                      >
                      > micio felice
                      >

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
                      > <richardt2005@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I've just finished my second batch of apple brandy with a dead
                      > simple
                      > > pot still. It's nicely drinkable, 60% abv cut to 40% for
                      > > consumption. But it has no detectable apple flavor, and I was
                      > trying
                      > > for some. The wine was nicely flavored. Any suggestions?

                      Organizational culture change Organizational culture assessment

                    • Jan Wouter
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 10, 2006
                        I make a 10 gallon of apple wine from apples about twice a year. I live in
                        the middle of dutch apple country, so the necessary apples are quit easy to
                        get by.
                        I first make juice of the apples, add sugar and yeast and let it ferment. In
                        the clearing process I get stuck woth quite a bit of mesh. Since I started
                        distilling I put it in the still and it makes a fine calvados, very soft
                        tasting and without hangovers. Not really an apple-taste though.
                        This year I will try the apple wine with whole apples and see what the
                        rsults will be. Unfortunately is is not the proper season for apples yet.

                        Jan Wouter

                      • waljaco
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 11, 2006
                          If you want an apple flavour you need to infuse sliced fresh apples in
                          your spirit as for German Apfel schnaps. Up to 3 apples/litre.
                          See -
                          http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/apple.html
                          Calvados gets most of its flavour from the oak barrel as for brandy.
                          wal