Re: [new_distillers] Urea & nutrients

  • Tom Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2000
      Urea as in URINE.... wow must be some strong hooch. seems like regular yeasts
      are a better way to go although it is interesting.

      "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" wrote:

      > I've just been going through some rec.crafts.brewing posts, and found that I
      > may have been put wrong about using urea as a possible yeast nutrient. I'll
      > try and dig around a little more to substantiate the claim that its harmful
      > (I've never heard of ethyl carbamates before).
    • Tony & Elle Ackland
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2000
        Ok, I've found a bit more out about the effect of Urea (a fertilizer, not
        urine ... but there is some urea in urine ....). See :

        http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/fc0488ur.html
        http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00193.html

        In summary ... if you use urea as a yeast nutrient, it can end up in
        producing some urethane (also known as ethyl carbamate), which in certain
        concentrations can cause cancer. The recommended limit for urethane is
        about 125 ppb (parts per billion); typically it is present in levels like
        that. Many US producers are therefore volunterily trying to reduce the
        amount present, either by not adding urea as a fertilizer to the grain
        crops, not using it as a yeast nutrient, and finding better strains of
        yeast that can deal to it. So all in all, probably best to avoid using
        urea as a nutrient for drinking alcohol.

        From the first link ...
        Some factors influencing urethane production in alcoholic beverages, such
        as the weather, are beyond human control. Others, however, can be modified.
        For instance, some wine makers used to add a substance called urea to
        stimulate fermentation. However, when urea combines with the alcohol
        produced during fermentation, it can produce urethane. Now all the major
        U.S. wineries that had used urea have eliminated it from the manufacturing
        process. Similarly, manufacturers are experimenting with different baking
        conditions for sherry to try to reduce levels of urethane. (Sherry is baked
        to enhance its flavor.) And bourbon manufacturers have found that modifying
        the distillation process can result in lower levels of urethane by removing
        more of the chemical during distillation
        Among the more widely marketed distilled spirits tested by the agencies
        (and by industry), bourbons generally contained the highest levels of
        urethane. Many bourbons contained up to several hundred parts per billion
        (ppb). According to Curtis Coker of the division of regulatory guidance in
        the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, "It appears that the
        distillation conditions, such as temperature. needed to produce the
        characteristic flavor of bourbons result in levels of urethane
        significantly higher than those found in some other distilled spirits, such
        as vodka, which are distilled under significantly different conditions."
        Vodka and gin have shown negligible amounts, if any, of urethane. Levels of
        the chemical in plum and cherry brandies varied from 200 to 12,000 ppb;
        dessert wines, such as cream sherries, contained from less than 4 ppb to
        several hundred ppb; and table wines had levels generally from zero to 25
        ppb.