Re: [new_distillers] Color and flavor...

  • BigRon BigRon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      I use a water barrel the 5 gal type at the home improvement stores
      I fill with 2/3 rds toasted and 1/3 heavy charred oak chips, put in in 15 pepper corns 2 tsp of sugar syrup ( I use wine conditioner) and 20 drops of vanilla. I then fill with my product and let it set 5 to 6 months. It takes about 3 1/2 gallons to fill the jug. My friends all say that it is the smoothest and the best that they have ever drank.
      I'm happy with the results
      Ron

      Michael Eyre <meyre@...> wrote:
      So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak for my
      purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and flavor
      still. I'm looking to emulate the dark-ish color of my Eagle Rare 10
      year bourbon, basically, and sorta get near that flavor too, if not even
      a bit more so. I'm got a few thumb sized chunks of white oak in the
      bottle with 750mL of 47% corn spirit now, and it's definitely a good
      *tan* color, but hardly noticeable when you pour it into a glass. I've
      got the oak toasted at 450 degrees for 2.5 hours. It's dark colored
      wood! Where am I missing out here? Is it a time thing? I've only had it
      in there a week now.. does it really take that long for color formation?
      Do I need more wood, is all? Darker still? I tried something different
      this time by diluting to working strength and *then* putting the wood
      in... which is something I didn't do on the other tests I've done, but
      they didn't get any darker than this one is right now after several
      weeks. Something else I'm not taking into consideration?

      Mike

      ---------------------------------

      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@...>
        wrote:
        Where am I missing out here? Is it a time thing? I've only had it
        > in there a week now.. does it really take that long for color
        formation?

        Given that commercial products spend at least 3 yrs in wood,
        sometimes up to 8 yrs for bourbons, a week ain't gonna cut it.
        Homedistillers generally get good results with toasted
        woodchips/blocks after about 4 months. Those small casks, (~5
        litres) work ok up to about 8 months. After that, the spirit can
        get a bit too woody (stop laughing :) ).

        That's because the ratio of wood to spirit in small casks is very
        different to commercial sized barrels.

      • Jan Wouter
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2006
          Have you considered artificial coloring? It was amazing what it did to what
          my friends said about my whisky. Sometimes also taste is in the eye of the
          beholder.

          Jan Wouter

          2006/5/3, Michael Eyre <meyre@...>:

          > So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak for my
          > purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and flavor
          > still.

        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006
            Some use dark caramel to get the dark color. Ive used the dark oak chips for wine. I get good color but get a little bite. Some say they like the bite.

            Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote: Have you considered artificial coloring? It was amazing what it did to what

            2006/5/3, Michael Eyre <meyre@...>:

            > So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak for my
            > purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and flavor
            > still.

            Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers