Re: Color and flavor...

  • Cary Rhodes
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      I use charred oak chunks.

      chunks are about the size of your thumb, length and width.

      charred with a plumbers torch till its black all over.

      2 in each quart jar gives a tan color, 3 or 4 will darken it quite a
      bit.

      but the darker, the more oaky the flavor is.

      2 is usually my preference.

      leave it soaking 3 or 4 months. then filter thru a coffee filter.

      cary

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@...>
      wrote:

      > So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak
      for my
      > purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and
      flavor
      > still. I'm looking to emulate the dark-ish color of my Eagle Rare
      10
      > year bourbon, basically, and sorta get near that flavor too, if
      not even
      > a bit more so. I'm got a few thumb sized chunks of white oak in the
      > bottle with 750mL of 47% corn spirit now, and it's definitely a
      good
      > *tan* color, but hardly noticeable when you pour it into a glass.
      I've
      > got the oak toasted at 450 degrees for 2.5 hours. It's dark colored
      > wood! Where am I missing out here? Is it a time thing? I've only
      had it
      > in there a week now.. does it really take that long for color
      formation?
      > Do I need more wood, is all? Darker still? I tried something
      different
      > this time by diluting to working strength and *then* putting the
      wood
      > in... which is something I didn't do on the other tests I've done,
      but
      > they didn't get any darker than this one is right now after several
      > weeks. Something else I'm not taking into consideration?
      >
      > Mike

    • BigRon BigRon
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        I use a water barrel the 5 gal type at the home improvement stores
        I fill with 2/3 rds toasted and 1/3 heavy charred oak chips, put in in 15 pepper corns 2 tsp of sugar syrup ( I use wine conditioner) and 20 drops of vanilla. I then fill with my product and let it set 5 to 6 months. It takes about 3 1/2 gallons to fill the jug. My friends all say that it is the smoothest and the best that they have ever drank.
        I'm happy with the results
        Ron

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          wrote:
          Where am I missing out here? Is it a time thing? I've only had it
          > in there a week now.. does it really take that long for color
          formation?

          Given that commercial products spend at least 3 yrs in wood,
          sometimes up to 8 yrs for bourbons, a week ain't gonna cut it.
          Homedistillers generally get good results with toasted
          woodchips/blocks after about 4 months. Those small casks, (~5
          litres) work ok up to about 8 months. After that, the spirit can
          get a bit too woody (stop laughing :) ).

          That's because the ratio of wood to spirit in small casks is very
          different to commercial sized barrels.

        • Jan Wouter
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006
            Have you considered artificial coloring? It was amazing what it did to what
            my friends said about my whisky. Sometimes also taste is in the eye of the
            beholder.

            Jan Wouter

            2006/5/3, Michael Eyre <meyre@...>:

            > So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak for my
            > purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and flavor
            > still.

          • donald holcombe
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2006
              Some use dark caramel to get the dark color. Ive used the dark oak chips for wine. I get good color but get a little bite. Some say they like the bite.

              Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote: Have you considered artificial coloring? It was amazing what it did to what

              2006/5/3, Michael Eyre <meyre@...>:

              > So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak for my
              > purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and flavor
              > still.

              Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers