Re: [new_distillers] Color and flavor...

  • Dennis Crawford
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      On Wed, 3 May 2006 11:37:29 -0700, you wrote:

      >So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak for my
      >purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and flavor
      >still. I'm looking to emulate the dark-ish color of my Eagle Rare 10
      >year bourbon, basically, and sorta get near that flavor too, if not even
      >a bit more so. I'm got a few thumb sized chunks of white oak in the
      >bottle with 750mL of 47% corn spirit now<<<snip>>>

      For that amount, you might try charring something like a 2"x4"x3/4"
      block of white oak. Use your torch (really hot!!) and char the larger
      (3"x4") sides - not the edges. Yes, turn them to deep charcoal,
      cracked like an alligator skin. LET IT COOL and toss it in.

      You might want to throw in a couple pieces of dries apricot, and maybe
      a smidge of vanilla bean, along with a tablespoon or so of heavy-toast
      oak chips from the wine-making store.

      I use the white oak for woody, charred flavor, the toasted chips for
      extra color, and the rest for flavor complexity. I don't think you can
      get the right color or taste without actual charred wood

      Shake the jar once a week, every week for at least 6 months.

      Hmm, maybe calculate how many jars you go through in 6 months, mix up
      that many, and taste as you go along (keep tasting notes). I guarantee
      the last jar will be the best!! ;-))

      DC
    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        I use charred oak chunks.

        chunks are about the size of your thumb, length and width.

        charred with a plumbers torch till its black all over.

        2 in each quart jar gives a tan color, 3 or 4 will darken it quite a
        bit.

        but the darker, the more oaky the flavor is.

        2 is usually my preference.

        leave it soaking 3 or 4 months. then filter thru a coffee filter.

        cary

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Eyre" <meyre@...>
        wrote:

        > So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak
        for my
        > purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and
        flavor
        > still. I'm looking to emulate the dark-ish color of my Eagle Rare
        10
        > year bourbon, basically, and sorta get near that flavor too, if
        not even
        > a bit more so. I'm got a few thumb sized chunks of white oak in the
        > bottle with 750mL of 47% corn spirit now, and it's definitely a
        good
        > *tan* color, but hardly noticeable when you pour it into a glass.
        I've
        > got the oak toasted at 450 degrees for 2.5 hours. It's dark colored
        > wood! Where am I missing out here? Is it a time thing? I've only
        had it
        > in there a week now.. does it really take that long for color
        formation?
        > Do I need more wood, is all? Darker still? I tried something
        different
        > this time by diluting to working strength and *then* putting the
        wood
        > in... which is something I didn't do on the other tests I've done,
        but
        > they didn't get any darker than this one is right now after several
        > weeks. Something else I'm not taking into consideration?
        >
        > Mike

      • BigRon BigRon
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          I use a water barrel the 5 gal type at the home improvement stores
          I fill with 2/3 rds toasted and 1/3 heavy charred oak chips, put in in 15 pepper corns 2 tsp of sugar syrup ( I use wine conditioner) and 20 drops of vanilla. I then fill with my product and let it set 5 to 6 months. It takes about 3 1/2 gallons to fill the jug. My friends all say that it is the smoothest and the best that they have ever drank.
          I'm happy with the results
          Ron

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2006
            wrote:
            Where am I missing out here? Is it a time thing? I've only had it
            > in there a week now.. does it really take that long for color
            formation?

            Given that commercial products spend at least 3 yrs in wood,
            sometimes up to 8 yrs for bourbons, a week ain't gonna cut it.
            Homedistillers generally get good results with toasted
            woodchips/blocks after about 4 months. Those small casks, (~5
            litres) work ok up to about 8 months. After that, the spirit can
            get a bit too woody (stop laughing :) ).

            That's because the ratio of wood to spirit in small casks is very
            different to commercial sized barrels.

          • Jan Wouter
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2006
              Have you considered artificial coloring? It was amazing what it did to what
              my friends said about my whisky. Sometimes also taste is in the eye of the
              beholder.

              Jan Wouter

              2006/5/3, Michael Eyre <meyre@...>:

              > So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak for my
              > purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and flavor
              > still.

            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2006
                Some use dark caramel to get the dark color. Ive used the dark oak chips for wine. I get good color but get a little bite. Some say they like the bite.

                Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote: Have you considered artificial coloring? It was amazing what it did to what

                2006/5/3, Michael Eyre <meyre@...>:

                > So, I'm already on the road of experimentation with toasted oak for my
                > purposes here at home... but I'm having issues with color and flavor
                > still.

                Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers