surging

  • yukon656
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2006
      Hello all

      The other day I was going to distill 1 gal of low wines 40 abv in my 4
      gal ss boiler. I put 4 10mm glass beads in the boiler and started the
      run. After about 10min of collecting(2 drips/sec)I began having
      massive vapor surges that blew right past the condenser and into the
      air! The heat was absolute minimum and water flow at max and it made
      no difference. After the 3rd surge I shut it down. Was this caused by
      the extra space in the boiler from it being only 1/3 full? This was
      the most unnerving experience. I am building a more capable condenser
      no matter but would like to know the possible cause.

      Thanks

      S! Yukon

      PS This was without my thumper in place.