Re: Short term goals, long term stills

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2006
      But here's the catch, if you have CM system you can bypass the reflux
      condenser and have in practise a potstill. Add/remove packing to fine
      tune it to the internal reflux ratio (all potstills have internal
      reflux, some designs quite a lot actually) that suits your flavored
      drink style. No need for two heads as you can use one still in
      several modes.

      - Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...>
      wrote:

      > If you have the time and can access material,
      > why not build your still with two "heads", one a
      > simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
      > and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
      > I know this solution is not an option for all, but
      > it works for me
      > cheers
      > greg
      >
      > --- Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
      > <richardt2005@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
      > find myself at a
      > > crossroads.
      > >
      > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
      > quality,
      > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
      > flavored fruit
      > > brandy.
      >
      > If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
      > nice clean pot
      > still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
      > parts, simplest
      > setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
      > many doohickeys
      > to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
      > you're after a more
      > neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
      > retaining the
      > flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
      > with.
      >
      > Trid
      >

      > New Distillers group archives are at
      > http://archive.nnytech.net/
      > FAQ and other information available at
      > http://homedistiller.org

      > Food
      > and drink Home
      > distilling Culture
      >
      > Culture club
      > Organizational culture
      > Distillers

      > Terms of Service.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • richardt2005
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2006
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>
        wrote:

        > I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought
        in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The
        crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump
        recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the
        tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not
        working hard at all.

        > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a
        double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to
        maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

        Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read all
        20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
        found yet.)
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2006
          <richardt2005@...> wrote:

          > Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read
          all
          > 20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
          > found yet.)

          Use the two sites running in frames on the homepage of this
          new_distillers groupsite. All will be revealed.

        • Paul McMillan
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            As an aside not directly related to your point, but useful information
            nonetheless... I found that I was able to greatly improve the
            throughput of my struggling aquarium pump by putting the bucket from
            which it was pumping on top of a garbage bin, raising it up by about 4
            feet. Head height does matter..

            Paul

            On 5/3/06, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...> wrote:
            > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.
          • Vickypoint
            Message 5 of 14 , May 4, 2006
              Have a look here for the items u are after the first one is Harrys still. Have a look in the First section Building an Eco friendly still.

              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Articles%20Listings

              for Alexs still

              http://geocities.com/bokakob/

              richardt2005 <richardt2005@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>
              wrote:

              > I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought
              in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The
              crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump
              recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the
              tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not
              working hard at all.

              > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a
              double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to
              maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

              Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read all
              20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
              found yet.)

              Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

              Frank
              vickypoint2003@...

              "Failure is never so frightening as regret"