Re: [new_distillers] Re: Short term goals, long term stills

  • greg tufts
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2006
      If you have the time and can access material,
      why not build your still with two "heads", one a
      simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
      and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
      I know this solution is not an option for all, but
      it works for me
      cheers
      greg

      --- Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
      <richardt2005@...> wrote:

      > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
      find myself at a
      > crossroads.
      >
      > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
      quality,
      > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
      flavored fruit
      > brandy.

      If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
      nice clean pot
      still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
      parts, simplest
      setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
      many doohickeys
      to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
      you're after a more
      neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
      retaining the
      flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
      with.

      Trid

      New Distillers group archives are at
      http://archive.nnytech.net/
      FAQ and other information available at
      http://homedistiller.org

      Food
      and drink Home
      distilling Culture

      Culture club
      Organizational culture
      Distillers

      Terms of Service.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2006
        But here's the catch, if you have CM system you can bypass the reflux
        condenser and have in practise a potstill. Add/remove packing to fine
        tune it to the internal reflux ratio (all potstills have internal
        reflux, some designs quite a lot actually) that suits your flavored
        drink style. No need for two heads as you can use one still in
        several modes.

        - Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...>
        wrote:

        > If you have the time and can access material,
        > why not build your still with two "heads", one a
        > simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
        > and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
        > I know this solution is not an option for all, but
        > it works for me
        > cheers
        > greg
        >
        > --- Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
        > <richardt2005@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
        > find myself at a
        > > crossroads.
        > >
        > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
        > quality,
        > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
        > flavored fruit
        > > brandy.
        >
        > If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
        > nice clean pot
        > still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
        > parts, simplest
        > setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
        > many doohickeys
        > to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
        > you're after a more
        > neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
        > retaining the
        > flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
        > with.
        >
        > Trid
        >

        > New Distillers group archives are at
        > http://archive.nnytech.net/
        > FAQ and other information available at
        > http://homedistiller.org

        > Food
        > and drink Home
        > distilling Culture
        >
        > Culture club
        > Organizational culture
        > Distillers

        > Terms of Service.

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • richardt2005
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2006
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>
          wrote:

          > I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought
          in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The
          crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump
          recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the
          tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not
          working hard at all.

          > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a
          double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to
          maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

          Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read all
          20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
          found yet.)
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            <richardt2005@...> wrote:

            > Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read
            all
            > 20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
            > found yet.)

            Use the two sites running in frames on the homepage of this
            new_distillers groupsite. All will be revealed.

          • Paul McMillan
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2006
              As an aside not directly related to your point, but useful information
              nonetheless... I found that I was able to greatly improve the
              throughput of my struggling aquarium pump by putting the bucket from
              which it was pumping on top of a garbage bin, raising it up by about 4
              feet. Head height does matter..

              Paul

              On 5/3/06, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...> wrote:
              > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.
            • Vickypoint
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                Have a look here for the items u are after the first one is Harrys still. Have a look in the First section Building an Eco friendly still.

                http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Articles%20Listings

                for Alexs still

                http://geocities.com/bokakob/

                richardt2005 <richardt2005@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>
                wrote:

                > I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought
                in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The
                crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump
                recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the
                tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not
                working hard at all.

                > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a
                double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to
                maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

                Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read all
                20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
                found yet.)

                Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                Frank
                vickypoint2003@...

                "Failure is never so frightening as regret"