Re: [new_distillers] Re: Short term goals, long term stills

  • Vickypoint
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2006
      I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not working hard at all.

      I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

      Both of these stills function well. I have a lot to learn on how to operate them to their ultimate performance.. But if you are looking for a good easily constructed still these are the ones I would be looking at. They both pump out around 92 to 94% so what more do you want.

      Vickypoint.

      Lindsay Williams <lindsay.nz@...> wrote: Hi, Riku. Why recommend a CM system rather than LM or VM? I have moved
      from CM to VM and know I would never go back to CM. Messing with water
      flows is just too depressing to contemplate!

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

      > If I were you I'd try building a modern cooling management still with
      > reflux condenser on top only (no through tubes in the packed area of
      > the column). It works very well for neutral spirits and can be used
      > efficiently to emulate those small brandy towers with couple of
      > plates. You can also make good whiskey with one of those and with
      > proper settings it will give in one run very similar results as a
      > double or tripple distillation in a potstill.
      >
      > - Riku
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
      > <richardt2005@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and find myself at a
      > > crossroads.
      > >
      > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good quality,
      > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely flavored fruit
      > > brandy.
      > >
      > > It looks like the most direct way to achieve my first goal is a
      > copper
      > > pipe internal reflux still, about 4'x2", packed with pot scrubbers,
      > > with a water jacketed condenser, and a good charcoal filter. I'll
      > use
      > > a small electric pump to cycle swimming pool water through the
      > > condenser. For the pot, I'm planning on gas fired double boiler,
      > the
      > > main tank made from a 1/2 size stainless beer keg, and a sugar or
      > HFCS
      > > wash with a commercial turbo yeast.
      > >
      > > But that looks like it's about useless for my ultimate goal. Any
      > > suggestions? Would a valved reflux be a better compromise? Or
      > should
      > > I just go to a large pot still and assume multiple runs?

      Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

      ---------------------------------

      Frank
      vickypoint2003@...

      "Failure is never so frightening as regret"

    • greg tufts
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2006
        If you have the time and can access material,
        why not build your still with two "heads", one a
        simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
        and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
        I know this solution is not an option for all, but
        it works for me
        cheers
        greg

        ---------------------------------
        <richardt2005@...> wrote:

        > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
        find myself at a
        > crossroads.
        >
        > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
        quality,
        > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
        flavored fruit
        > brandy.

        If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
        nice clean pot
        still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
        parts, simplest
        setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
        many doohickeys
        to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
        you're after a more
        neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
        retaining the
        flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
        with.

        Trid

        New Distillers group archives are at
        http://archive.nnytech.net/
        FAQ and other information available at
        http://homedistiller.org

        Food
        and drink Home
        distilling Culture

        Culture club
        Organizational culture
        Distillers

        Terms of Service.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2006
          But here's the catch, if you have CM system you can bypass the reflux
          condenser and have in practise a potstill. Add/remove packing to fine
          tune it to the internal reflux ratio (all potstills have internal
          reflux, some designs quite a lot actually) that suits your flavored
          drink style. No need for two heads as you can use one still in
          several modes.

          - Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@...>
          wrote:

          > If you have the time and can access material,
          > why not build your still with two "heads", one a
          > simple pot still with worm for brandy, rum etc
          > and a VM/CM/LM your choice for clean spirits ?
          > I know this solution is not an option for all, but
          > it works for me
          > cheers
          > greg
          >
          > --- Trid <triddlywinks@...> wrote:
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "richardt2005"
          > <richardt2005@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm starting to buy parts for my first still, and
          > find myself at a
          > > crossroads.
          > >
          > > My immediate goal is the reliable production of good
          > quality,
          > > drinkable ethanol. My ultimate goal is intensely
          > flavored fruit
          > > brandy.
          >
          > If your goal is brandy, my advice would be to set up a
          > nice clean pot
          > still. It's a simple start and it has the fewest
          > parts, simplest
          > setup, and allows you to get started sooner without as
          > many doohickeys
          > to assemble/locate/engineer. Do multiple runs if
          > you're after a more
          > neutral spirit, but you can't beat a pot still for
          > retaining the
          > flavors of the fruit wash/wine that you're starting
          > with.
          >
          > Trid
          >

          > New Distillers group archives are at
          > http://archive.nnytech.net/
          > FAQ and other information available at
          > http://homedistiller.org

          > Food
          > and drink Home
          > distilling Culture
          >
          > Culture club
          > Organizational culture
          > Distillers

          > Terms of Service.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • richardt2005
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2006
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>
            wrote:

            > I had a still built as per Harrys design.He has put a lot of thought
            in this design and I must say to him "THANKS FOR THE EFFORT" The
            crossflow condensor works very well. I have a small pond pump
            recycling water from a 200 litre drum. The flow of water through the
            tubes in the condensor is very easlily controlled and the pump is not
            working hard at all.

            > I have also had made a mini still as per Alex,s design. I made up a
            double helix cooling coil and have found the pump struggles a bit to
            maintain a good flow of cooling water through 1/4 inch cooper tubing.

            Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read all
            20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
            found yet.)
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2006
              <richardt2005@...> wrote:

              > Any link to Harry's or Alex's design? (I'm sorry to have not read
              all
              > 20,000 postings, there are whole rafts of resources that I haven't
              > found yet.)

              Use the two sites running in frames on the homepage of this
              new_distillers groupsite. All will be revealed.

            • Paul McMillan
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2006
                As an aside not directly related to your point, but useful information
                nonetheless... I found that I was able to greatly improve the
                throughput of my struggling aquarium pump by putting the bucket from
                which it was pumping on top of a garbage bin, raising it up by about 4
                feet. Head height does matter..

                Paul

                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2006
                  Have a look here for the items u are after the first one is Harrys still. Have a look in the First section Building an Eco friendly still.

                  http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Articles%20Listings

                  for Alexs still

                  http://geocities.com/bokakob/

                  richardt2005 <richardt2005@...> wrote: --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Vickypoint <vickypoint2003@...>